Electric Field between two charges

In summary, Brandon is trying to solve an equation for two charges, but gets stuck when he doesn't take into account the negative charge of the second particle. Robphy is helping Brandon think through the problem and come up with a solution.
brandon26

Homework Statement

Two charges of value +4C and -16C are separated by a distance of 3m.

At what spot along the line is the electric field is zero?

Homework Equations

I tried using the equation E = Q / 4pieE(o)r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I get a quadratic equations which cannot be solved, please help me out. It is very urgent.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what specifically did you do? If you show your work, it will be easier to help!

brandon26 said:
I get a quadratic equations which cannot be solved, please help me out. It is very urgent.
I assure you that it can be solved, perhaps if you showed you working...

Edit: Damn, your quick cristo. It seems roles have been reversed...:wink:

Hootenanny said:
Edit: Damn, your quick cristo. It seems roles have been reversed...:wink:

Haha, I beat you to it for once, about time too! Although I wouldn't say roles were reversed just yet :biggrin:

Before writing equations, you might ask yourself:
- will it be between the charges? if not, on which side will it be?
- will it be equidistant from each charge? if not, which charge is it closer to?

(Hint: think physically: what would a third charge feel at this point you seek?)

(Hint: Although you can write down one [fancy] equation that you can solve, you probably won't. The above suggest cases to consider and some intuition to almost guess the numerical solution.)

GOD! This website is soo useless!

brandon26 said:
GOD! This website is soo useless!

Brandon, please see here: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=94379, with specific reference to point 1)
FAQ said:
1) Did you show your work? Homework helpers will not assist with any questions until you've shown your own effort on the problem. Remember, we help with homework, we don't do your homework. We already passed those classes; it's your turn to do so.

You must show your work before we can help you; this means the actual equations you used, not simply a brief "I used this method" type expression.

Last edited:
Robphy is helping you to think and solve the problem by yourself.

Details:
1) since 16C >4C, the third spot should be closer to +4C
2) the spots between the two charges could not be 0, since in this case, the field of the two charge is in the same direction.

Thus, the spot should in the left of +4C.

The equation should be 4/x^2=16/(3+x)^2.

It does have a solution.

this is exactly what I got, except for one small difference. The charge of the second particle is negative, why have u ignored it??

actually...i js noticed your second point... both charges act in the same direction so the null point can't be inbetween the charges.

But why have you ignored the negative sign ??

Draw a free-body diagram.

I have put it still doesn't make sense. You cannot ignore the negative sign, can you?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the effect of electric forces on charged particles. It is a vector field, meaning it has both direction and magnitude.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of electric charges. Positive charges create an outward electric field, while negative charges create an inward electric field.

3. What is the formula for calculating the electric field between two charges?

The formula for calculating the electric field between two charges is E = k * (q1 * q2) / r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

4. How does the distance between two charges affect the electric field?

The electric field between two charges decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning it decreases by the square of the distance.

5. Can the direction of an electric field be changed?

Yes, the direction of an electric field can be changed by reversing the polarity of the charges. For example, if the charges are both positive, the electric field will point away from them. But if one charge is negative and one is positive, the electric field will point towards the negative charge.