Electric field direction and force in Giancoli textbook figure

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Frankenstein19
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
I'm studying for my physics exam and there is a figure on the book physics for scientists and engineers 4th edition by giancoli that i just don't understand. I know that the electric field of a negative charge points toward it and the electric field of a positive charge points away from it

Also why is the force included in that diagram, what does it mean if it is parallel to the electric field or points against it?

upload_2016-9-2_0-49-16.png

thank you in advanced
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Please remember to use the formatting template for all homework questions.

Frankenstein19 said:
I'm studying for my physics exam and there is a figure on the book physics for scientists and engineers 4th edition by giancoli that i just don't understand. I know that the electric field of a negative charge points toward it and the electric field of a positive charge points away from it
What is it you don't understand about the figure? What is included in parts (b) and (c) that does not appear in part (a)?

What relevant equation tells you the force that a charge experiences when subjected to an electric field?