1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field due to 3 charged sheets.

1. Sep 4, 2006 #1
    First off i should say that right now Im working with gauss's law.

The problem is finding the electric field between the different layers off 3 charged sheets. The top 2 are positive with 2 different charge densitys and the bottom one has a negative charge desity different from the top 2.

The thing im haveing trouble with is Im not exactly sure how to calculate the feild between plates. Im not sure if i need to add the components from all 3 plates to get the field between the bottom and 2nd to top plate or if i should just use the components of force between the 2 bottom plates and forget about the component from the top plate. I would have though that the top plate would contribute to the field, and looking all through the chapter i cant find a similar cicum stance with 3 plates to help me out. I know i can pick my ouwn gaussian surfaces but it seems like if i did that so it only included the charges from 2 plates it would make my answer wrong since its not taking into effect the other plate so Im not sure what do do and would appreciate some help.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The easy way is to calculate the electric field due to one sheet alone. Then add the other 2 and use superposition.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?