1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field Due to a Point Charge

1. May 31, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

In below figure, the three particles are fixed in place and have charges q1 = q2 = +e and
    q3 = +2e. Distance a = 6.00 μm. What are the magnitude of the
    net electric field at point P due to the particles?
    http://www.geocities.com/imfrrreal/22-36.jpg

2. Relevant equations

|E| = k * |q| / r2

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, I've got as far as understanding how to set up my vectors, (blue, above) realizing that E1 and E2 cancel. So now I set up my Enet = E3 = k * 2e / r2.

What is r in this case?! I think my real problem here could be geometry, and not physics, but who knows I could be missing something vital from the beginning of the E-fields chapter. I though r would be sqrt 2 * a = 8μm, making r = 4μm. But when I evaluate Enet = k * 2e / (4x10-6)2 I do not get the right answer.

In the solutions manual the final eq. they evaluate is: k * 2e / (a/sqrt 2)2

Where do they get r = a / sqrt 2 ?

Is r not the blue line, but twice as long since the third point charge is twice the charge of the others?

If this ends up being a geometry problem a) slap me b) accept my apologizes and move post.

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Realize that "a" is the hypotenuse of a right triangle, so it must be the largest side of that triangle.
    Use the pythagorean theorem.

(It's a geometry problem.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook