1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field from a cylindrical shell

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider a uniformly charged thin-walled right circular cylindrical shell having total charge Q, radius R, and height h. Determine the electric field at a point a distance d from the right side of the cylinder as shown in the figure below.

db7f47d8d64456bd28cb0002bc64c9d3.jpg

2. Relevant equations

E = kQ/r2

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so I started by finding the electric field at a distance d from a ring of uniform charge:

E = [tex]\stackrel{kdQ}{\sqrt{(d\stackrel{2}{}+R\stackrel{2}{})\stackrel{3}{}}}[/tex]

Now I want to treat this shell as a collection of infinitely thin rings, so I need to sum the electric field due to the rings and integrate right? This is where Im having trouble:

E = [tex]\stackrel{k(d+dx)Q}{\sqrt{((d+dx)\stackrel{2}{}+R\stackrel{2}{})\stackrel{3}{}}}[/tex]?

Then integrate from 0 to h? What about the charge Q? Should it be Q/h?

Im confused as to how I set this integral up. Any help is greatly appreciated! thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2009 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Almost. However, a simpler way to think about this problem is to use a single variable, x, to denote the distance to a specific ring making up the cylinder. Instead of dQ, you'd use Qdx/h; instead of d^2, you'd use x. Then you just have to integrate.

4. Oct 17, 2009 #3
    So then I would have something like

E = [tex]\frac{kQdx}{h\sqrt{(x\stackrel{2}{}+R\stackrel{2}{})}\stackrel{3}{}}[/tex]?

and integrate from x=d to x=d+h?

5. Oct 17, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Oops, there's one more error I didn't catch. The electric field due to a ring is kdQ/r^2 *cos(theta)=kdQ/r^2 * x/r, where x is the distance to the ring's center. I think you left out the x.

6. Oct 17, 2009 #5
    oh, I had d as the distance to the ring's center, now im confused? what is the d in your equation for a ring?

7. Oct 17, 2009 #6

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Sorry for being so confusing.

Originally you had this:

You might want to check this equation. It should be kdQ/(d^2+R^2) * cos(theta), and cos(theta)=d/sqrt(d^2+R^2). You just missed the "d". Now, apply the changes I suggested: x=d, dQ=Qdx/h, etc.

8. Oct 18, 2009 #7
    But my text book has a different formula than that, one without cos theta. here:

IMG_5547.jpg

So which one do I use?

In my work I replaced z with d to match the diagram, and that 1/4piepsilon = k

9. Oct 18, 2009 #8
    Oh I see, it should be d2 in the numerator?

10. Oct 18, 2009 #9
    So youre saying d=x, but then you say that d=dx/h. I think youre getting confused because of the dQ. I didnt write that to mean Delta Q or differential of Q or anything like that. the "d" in "dQ" is the same as the one in the denominator.

EDIT: Ok so this is what I have afer your changes:

[tex]\int\stackrel{d+h}{d}\frac{kxQ}{h(x\frac{2}{}+R\frac{2}{})\frac{3/2}{}}dx[/tex]

It came out sloppy, should be integral from d to d+h

Please tell me if this is right!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook