1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field from infinite charges

1. Sep 8, 2006 #1
    Here is my problem: A charge of -q is located at x=a. Another charge, +q, is at x=2a. This sequence of alternating charges continues indefinitely in the +x direction. What is the electric field at the origin?

So I figure I need an infinite alternating sum. The equation to be used is [tex] \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^2} [/tex] So the sum would be [tex] \sum \frac{(-1)^nq}{4\pi\epsilon_0(na)^2} [/tex]. Which can be factored to [tex] \frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0a^2} \sum \frac{(-1)^n}{n^2} [/tex]. (sum from n=one to n=infinity)

Is that correct so far? Im not sure how to do the sum..... Any help please, Thx!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2006 #2
    With some help from the math forum, I believe I have the answer..

[tex]-\frac{q\pi}{48\epsilon_0a^2}[/tex]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2006
  4. Sep 9, 2006 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Be careful about the signs here. A negative charge at x=a will create a field that points in the positive x-direction at the origin. Otherwise what you got is correct.

The sum is very famous. I think they'd expect you to know/memorize it and leave the derivation for a math class:
    [tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\pi^2}{6}[/tex]

EDIT: You just beat me to it. But it should be 4*6=24 in the denominator.

5. Sep 9, 2006 #4
    So, the field goes to a negative charge and because the first charge is strongest, the field will terminate there. Meaning at the origion it points to x=a.

But I did get a negative answer in the end, which makes me think that the field is coming to the origin.

I can see that you are right the field points in the +x, but mathmatically shouldnt i get a positive value for the field then?

EDIT- also, I got the sum as [tex]-\frac{\pi^2}{12}[/tex] (with help from the math forum). Your value i do memorize, but what i needed was slightly different... right? I needed an alternating sum, which is why I have a 48 in the denominator.

6. Sep 9, 2006 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Remember that the electric field is a vector. For a point charge:
    [tex]\frac{q}{4\pi\epsilon_0r^2}\hat r [/tex] where [itex]\hat r[/itex] points radially away from the charge. That would be in the negative x-direction if the charge is at x=a. So E points in the positive x direction if q is negative. You got it just the other way around.

Erm, right. :blushing:

7. Sep 11, 2006 #6
    Well I got an F on the problem :( I guess [tex]-\frac{q\pi}{48\epsilon_0a^2}[/tex] is not the right answer, but I just cant figure out what I did wrong or how to get the right answer...

Thx for you help anyway...

8. Sep 12, 2006 #7

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the field points in the +x direction, so the answer should be positive.
    [tex]\frac{q\pi}{48\epsilon_0a^2}[/tex]
    Which you get if you take care of all the signs carefully, but I think it's easier to just work with magnitude and determine the direction by inspection.

Anyway, that's the only minor error I can spot. You did mention the field pointed in the +x-direction in your answer, it's definitely not worth an F so I'm curious what comments you got on the answer

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?