1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field from Permanent Magnet

1. Dec 20, 2009 #1

I've been extremely stuck on the following problems and was hoping someone could give me a push in the right direction:

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

1) Given an infinite slab of permanently magnetized matter of thickness d centered on the xy-plane with uniform magnetization [tex]\textbf{M} = (0, M, 0)[/tex] and velocity [tex]\textbf{v} = (v, 0, 0)[/tex], find the electric field at [tex]\textbf{E}(0, 0, 0)[/tex] and [tex]\textbf{E}(0, y, 0)[/tex] where y > d.

2) A magnetized sphere with uniform magnetization [tex]\textbf{M} = (0, 0, M)[/tex] and radius r is spinning at a rate of [tex]\textbf{\omega} = (0, 0, \omega)[/tex]. Find the electric field for r' > r. (Hint: Find the equivalent magnetic charge density, [tex]\rho_m[/tex], and equivalent surface current, [tex]\sigma_m[/tex].)

2. Relevant equations

I'm not entirely sure (hence the thread)!

[tex]\sigma_{m, n} = \textbf{M} \cdot \textbf{n}[/tex]

[tex]\rho_{m} = - \nabla \cdot \textbf{M}[/tex]

...these are factors of the integrand that give rise to the magnetic scalar potential, [tex]\Omega[/tex], which in turn yields [tex]\textbf{B}[/tex] via [tex]\textbf{H} = - \nabla \Omega[/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm desperately stuck on these; for both problems I can find [tex]\rho_m[/tex] and [tex]\sigma_m[/tex], but I don't see the connection to the [tex]\textbf{E}[/tex]-field. Any suggestions to get me started would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2009 #2
    Well, after doing some digging I found the following problem (7.60) in Griffiths' Electrodynamics:

Maxwell's equations are invariant under the following duality transformations

[tex]\textbf{E'} = \textbf{E} cos(\alpha) + c \textbf{B} sin(\alpha)[/tex]

[tex]c \textbf{B'} = c \textbf{B} cos(\alpha) - \textbf{E} sin(\alpha)[/tex]

[tex] c q_{e}' = c q_{e} cos(\alpha) + q_{m} sin(\alpha)[/tex]

[tex] q_{m}' = q_{m} cos(\alpha) - c q_{e} sin(\alpha)[/tex]

...where [tex]c = 1/\sqrt{\epsilon_0 \mu_0}[/tex], [tex]q_m[/tex] is the magnetic charge and [tex]\alpha[/tex] is an arbitrary rotation angle in "[tex]\textbf{E}-\textbf{B}[/tex] space."

Griffiths' says that, "this means, in particular, that if you know the fields produced by a configuration of electric charge, you can immediately (using [tex]\alpha = \pi / 2[/tex]) write down the fields produced by the corresponding arrangement of magnetic charge."

Thus, if I were to solve for [tex]\textbf{E}[/tex] in (1) and (2) with a polarization [tex]\textbf{P}[/tex] instead of a magnetization [tex]\textbf{M}[/tex], I could then use a duality transformation to find the solutions to (1) and (2), correct?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook