Electric field generated by a charged wire

In summary, a charge per unit length +λ is uniformly distributed along the positive y-axis from y = 0 to y = +a, and a charge per unit length −λ is uniformly distributed along the negative y-axis from y = 0 to y = −a. The electric field at a point on the x-axis a distance x from the origin is given by the expression -2kλ/[(a2+x2)1/2]+2kλ/x. This was derived by treating the ends of the wire as point charges and using the equation E = k|q|/r2.
Renaldo

Homework Statement

A charge per unit length +λ is uniformly distributed along the positive y-axis from y = 0 to y = +a. A charge per unit length −λ is uniformly distributed along the negative y-axis from y = 0 to y = −a. Write an expression for the electric field at a point on the x-axis a distance x from the origin. (Use the following as necessary: k, λ, x, and a.)

Homework Equations

E = k|q|/r2

I derived this equation by treating the ends of the wire as point charges.
Ey = 2kqa/(y2+x2)3/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I quickly determined that the field vectors x and k would be 0.

For the y vector:

dEy = 2ak(dq)/(y2+x2)3/2

dq/dy = Q/2a

∫dEy = (4akQ/2a)∫dy/(y2+x2)3/2
= 2kQy/[x2(y2+x2)1/2]

2kλy/[x2(y2+x2)1/2]

The limits of integration are from 0 to a.

I am pretty sure this is not correct, and have been working at it for a while, so I would appreciate some help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Renaldo said:
I derived this equation by treating the ends of the wire as point charges.
Ey = 2kqa/(y2+x2)3/2
On the RHS, part of the expression is valid for any y in the range, but part of it is only valid at the endpoints. You later treat it as though it's valid over all y.

haruspex said:
On the RHS, part of the expression is valid for any y in the range, but part of it is only valid at the endpoints. You later treat it as though it's valid over all y.

I think I understand what you are talking about. Here is my revised process.

Ey = kqy/[(x2+y2)3/2]

dq = λdy

dEy = kλydy/[(x2+y2)3/2]

The limits of integration are from -a to a. I choose to integrate from 0 to a and multiply the result by two.

2∫dEy = 2kλ∫ydy/[(x2+y2)3/2]
= -2kλ/[(x2+y2)1/2]
=-2kλ/[(x2+a2)1/2]

Renaldo said:
2∫dEy = 2kλ∫ydy/[(x2+y2)3/2]
= -2kλ/[(x2+y2)1/2]
Better. But it's a definite integral. y should have turned into a.

haruspex said:
Better. But it's a definite integral. y should have turned into a.

=-2kλ/[(x2+a2)1/2]

How much better? Am I on the right track or am I already there?

Actually, I just input that answer to webassign and it didn't accept it. I am kind of frustrated. lol

Renaldo said:
=-2kλ/[(x2+a2)1/2]

How much better? Am I on the right track or am I already there?
... and a definite integral has two bounds.

haruspex said:
... and a definite integral has two bounds.

ok. New answer for limits of integration 0 to a:

-2kλ/[(a2+x2)1/2]+2kλ/x

Here is an attachment showing all of my work.

Attachments

• CCI02092013_00000.jpg
    CCI02092013_00000.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 600
Renaldo said:
ok. New answer for limits of integration 0 to a:

-2kλ/[(a2+x2)1/2]+2kλ/x

That's what I get.

haruspex said:
That's what I get.

Yes, this worked. Thanks for your help.

1. How is the electric field generated by a charged wire?

The electric field is generated by the presence of a charged wire due to the movement of electric charges. The charges create an electric field in the space around the wire, which can be measured and visualized using tools such as an electric field sensor or iron filings.

2. What factors affect the strength of the electric field generated by a charged wire?

The strength of the electric field generated by a charged wire is affected by the magnitude of the charge on the wire, the distance from the wire, and the orientation of the wire.

3. How does the electric field vary with distance from a charged wire?

The electric field follows an inverse-square law, meaning that it decreases with the square of the distance from the wire. This means that the electric field is strongest closest to the wire and decreases as you move further away.

4. Can the electric field generated by a charged wire be shielded or blocked?

Yes, the electric field can be shielded or blocked by using materials that conduct electricity, such as metal. This is because the charges in the wire will be attracted to the conductive material and redistribute themselves, causing the electric field to be cancelled out.

5. How is the direction of the electric field determined around a charged wire?

The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the electric force that would be exerted on a positive test charge placed at a specific point in space. The direction of the electric field is always radial, meaning it points away from a positively charged wire and towards a negatively charged wire.