Electric field in a cylindrical configuration

In summary: In fact, it might even lead you astray.In summary, a hollow cylindrical metal tube with inner radius 3.0mm has a negative charge per unit length on it's inner surface.
nugget

Homework Statement

Immediately outside a very long, cylindrical wire of radius R1=0.6mm, the electric field is 50 kV/m directed towards the wire's surface. The wire is in air.

What is the charge per unit along length the wire? (take care with sign)

What is the field at R2=3.0mm? (i.e. 2.4mm from the wire's surface)

A hollow cylindrical metal tube with inner radius 3.0mm is now placed around the wire, to form a coaxial cable, what will be the charge per unit length on the inner surface of this tube? Explain.

Homework Equations

Really not too sure,

The Attempt at a Solution

even just a headstart would be much appreciated if anybody knows how to solve these.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you tell if the charge on the wire is positive or negative? Why do you think so?

Consider using Gauss's Law for this problem. There might even be an example in your textbook treating something similar that you can use to pattern your solution after. Look for a cylindrical gaussian surface.

I think the charge on the cylinder/wire is negative, as all the electric field is directed toward it's surface. If it was +vely charged then the electric field would be directed away from the wire, as the field represents the movement of +ve charges.

From here I am still confused, except for knowing that the charge per unit length on the wire will be negative. How do i use Gauss? how do i tackle the other parts of the question?

For part (b), what is the field at R2 = 3.0mm, can I use the formula for field due to a point charge and just use any point along the cylinder?

You got the sign of the charge right. Now for Part (a)

Imagine a Gaussian surface of radius that is a cylinder of length L (the length doesn't really matter in the end) and radius 0.6 mm, i.e. it essentially looks like a piece of the wire. Note that the electric field is constant on the surface and points towards the axis.

To answer part (a), you need to complete the following steps. Once you understand how part (a) works, part (b) should be easy.

Find an expression for the electric flux through this Gaussian surface. (Note that there is no flux through the two flat caps of the cylinder because the field is parallel to the surface).
Assuming that charge Q is enclosed by the surface, write Gauss's Law.
The answer to part (a) is Q/L which you can get from the previous step.

I got -1.67x10-9 C/m for Q/L.

used a formula which was E field for an infinite line of charge, is this the right value?

and for (b) I just put the values in another formula to see what sort of answer i got - field at 3.0mm = 1.7x106 C/m.

how am i doing?

You are doing OK if getting a number for an answer is what you are after. However, if the problem is, as I suspect, about Gauss's Law, plugging number in this formula will not help you understand Gauss's Law and how to use it.

What is an electric field in a cylindrical configuration?

An electric field in a cylindrical configuration refers to the distribution of electric charges along a cylindrical shape, creating an electric field in the surrounding space.

How is the electric field strength calculated in a cylindrical configuration?

The electric field strength in a cylindrical configuration is calculated using the equation E = (Q/2πε0r2), where Q is the charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

What is the direction of the electric field in a cylindrical configuration?

The direction of the electric field in a cylindrical configuration is radial, meaning it points outward from the center of the cylinder towards the surrounding space.

How is the electric potential in a cylindrical configuration related to the electric field?

The electric potential in a cylindrical configuration is directly proportional to the electric field, with the equation V = -(Q/2πε0r). This means that as the electric field strength increases, the electric potential also increases.

What factors can affect the electric field in a cylindrical configuration?

The electric field in a cylindrical configuration can be affected by factors such as the charge distribution along the cylinder, the permittivity of the surrounding medium, and the distance from the center of the cylinder.