1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field in all of space from charges along the Z-axis

1. Apr 25, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A charge is distributed evenly along the ##z## axis with a density ##\lambda = 3 \frac{\mu C}{m}##. There is also a cylinder with radius ##r = 2## and on his side there is a superficial density charge of ##\sigma = -\left( \frac{1.5}{4 \pi} \right) \frac{\mu C}{m^2}##. Both distributions are unlimited on the ##z## axis that coincide with the axis of the system.

2. Relevant equations
    Gauss Theorem:
    ##\Phi_S (\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_l \lambda (x, y, z) dl##
    ##\Phi_S (\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_S \sigma (x, y, z) dS##

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I started first by calulating the electric field inside the cylinder with a ##r_0 < r##. Since it is only the charge on the ##z## axis creating the field, we will use ##\lambda## and integrate on the line.
    ##\Phi_S (\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_l \lambda (x, y, z) dl##
    ##\int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_l \lambda dl##
    ##E_0 2 \pi r_0 l = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_l \lambda dl##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{r_0 l} \int_l \lambda dl##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r_0 l} \int_l dl##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda l}{r_0 l}##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r_0}##

Then I calculated the electric field at ##r_0 = r##. Now there are both the charge on the ##z## axis and the charge on the cylinder's side ##\sigma##.
    For the contribution of the linear charge we have ##\frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r}##.
    For the contribution of the superficial charge we have:
    ##\Phi_S (\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_S \sigma (x, y, z) dS##
    ##\int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_S \sigma dS##
    ##E_0 2 \pi r l = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_S \sigma dS##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{r l} \int_S \sigma dS##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma}{r l} \int_S dS##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma}{r l} \int_{0}^{r} 2 \pi l dr##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma 2 \pi l}{r l} \int_{0}^{r} dr##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma 2 \pi r l}{r l}##
    ##E_0 = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}##
    So ##E = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r} + \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}##

In the end I calculated the electric field for ##r_0 > r##. Like before, there are both the charge on the ##z## axis and the charge on the cylinder's side ##\sigma##.
    For the contribution of the linear charge we have ##\frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r_0}##.
    For the contribution of the superficial charge we have ##\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0 r_0} (r_0 - r)##.
    So ##E = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r_0} + \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0 r_0} (r_0 - r)##

Is it all correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your answer looks correct for the case ro < r.

I would not try to use Gauss' law for the special case of r0 = r. For this value of r, you are at the location of the surface charge density where the E field is indeterminate.

For the case r0 > r, you have not found the correct charge inside the Gaussian surface due to the surface charge density σ. There should not be any integration with respect to r. Since σ is constant, you have ##\int_{S} \sigma dS = \sigma S##. Be sure to draw a figure which helps you identify the surface ##S##.

4. Apr 25, 2016 #3
    Why is it indeterminate? Shouldn't ##E## be the maximus on the surface?

Why? I'm assuming a cylinder with a radius ##r_0 > r## and I want to find the electric field there. Shouldn't it be this the contribution of the surface charge:
    ##E_0 2 \pi r l = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_S \sigma dS##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{r l} \int_S \sigma dS##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma}{r l} \int_S dS##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma}{r l} \int_{r}^{r_0} 2 \pi l dr##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma 2 \pi l}{r l} \int_{r}^{r_0} dr##
    ##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma 2 \pi l}{r l} (r_0 - r)##
    ##E_0 = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0 r} (r_0 - r)##

5. Apr 25, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you'll see why E is undefined for points on the surface of the cylinder once you have worked out E for the inner and outer regions.
    Shoudn't the ##r## on the left side be ##r_0##?
    At this point, use the fact that ##\int {dS} = S## and just substitute the correct expression for S.
    It doesn't make any sense to integrate over r. You are integrating over part of the surface of the cylinder where ##r## is a fixed number, not a variable.

6. Apr 25, 2016 #5
    Yeah, you're right. My bad.
    So simply ##S = 2 \pi r_0 l##?
    Then I have ##E_0 = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}##. Is it right?

7. Apr 25, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Think about whether you should have ##r## or ##r_0## in this expression.

8. Apr 25, 2016 #7
    Gauss Theorem says that ##\Phi## of the electric field in the void ##E_0## through a closed surface ##S## is the integral of the charge inside ##S## divided by ##\epsilon_0##. The surface we are talking about in this case is the cylinder with radius ##r## while the electric field we want to find out is at radius ##r_0 > r##. So on the left, where there is ##S##, we have ##r_0##, while on the right, where there is the other ##S##, we have ##r##. This is because on the left we have the surface with radius ##r_0## and on the right the surface with the surface charge ##\sigma##, so the one at radius ##r##. So I got it wrong. I should have written ##E_0 = \frac{\sigma r}{\epsilon_0 r_0}##. Am I right?

9. Apr 25, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's right.

10. Apr 25, 2016 #9

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course, there is also the contribution from the line charge.

11. Apr 25, 2016 #10
    Which is this ##\frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r_0}##, right?

12. Apr 25, 2016 #11

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted