Electric Field in all of space from charges along the Z-axis

In summary: It is correct for r0 > rDo you want to summarize the conversation?In summary, the problem involves a charge distributed evenly along the z axis with a density of 3 μC/m. There is also a cylinder with radius 2 and a superficial charge density of -(1.5/4π) μC/m^2 on its side. The question asks for the electric field at different points, using Gauss' law and the fact that the distributions are unlimited on the z axis. For r0 < r, the electric field is 1/(2πε0)(λ/r0). For r0 > r, the electric field is (1/(2πε0))(λ/r0) + (σ
Kernul

Homework Statement

A charge is distributed evenly along the ##z## axis with a density ##\lambda = 3 \frac{\mu C}{m}##. There is also a cylinder with radius ##r = 2## and on his side there is a superficial density charge of ##\sigma = -\left( \frac{1.5}{4 \pi} \right) \frac{\mu C}{m^2}##. Both distributions are unlimited on the ##z## axis that coincide with the axis of the system.

Homework Equations

Gauss Theorem:
##\Phi_S (\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_l \lambda (x, y, z) dl##
##\Phi_S (\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_S \sigma (x, y, z) dS##

The Attempt at a Solution

So I started first by calulating the electric field inside the cylinder with a ##r_0 < r##. Since it is only the charge on the ##z## axis creating the field, we will use ##\lambda## and integrate on the line.
##\Phi_S (\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_l \lambda (x, y, z) dl##
##\int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_l \lambda dl##
##E_0 2 \pi r_0 l = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_l \lambda dl##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{r_0 l} \int_l \lambda dl##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r_0 l} \int_l dl##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda l}{r_0 l}##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r_0}##

Then I calculated the electric field at ##r_0 = r##. Now there are both the charge on the ##z## axis and the charge on the cylinder's side ##\sigma##.
For the contribution of the linear charge we have ##\frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r}##.
For the contribution of the superficial charge we have:
##\Phi_S (\vec E_0) = \int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_S \sigma (x, y, z) dS##
##\int_S \vec E_0 \cdot d\vec S = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_S \sigma dS##
##E_0 2 \pi r l = \frac{1}{\epsilon_0} \int_S \sigma dS##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{1}{r l} \int_S \sigma dS##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma}{r l} \int_S dS##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma}{r l} \int_{0}^{r} 2 \pi l dr##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma 2 \pi l}{r l} \int_{0}^{r} dr##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma 2 \pi r l}{r l}##
##E_0 = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}##
So ##E = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r} + \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}##

In the end I calculated the electric field for ##r_0 > r##. Like before, there are both the charge on the ##z## axis and the charge on the cylinder's side ##\sigma##.
For the contribution of the linear charge we have ##\frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r_0}##.
For the contribution of the superficial charge we have ##\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0 r_0} (r_0 - r)##.
So ##E = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r_0} + \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0 r_0} (r_0 - r)##

Is it all correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer looks correct for the case ro < r.

I would not try to use Gauss' law for the special case of r0 = r. For this value of r, you are at the location of the surface charge density where the E field is indeterminate.

For the case r0 > r, you have not found the correct charge inside the Gaussian surface due to the surface charge density σ. There should not be any integration with respect to r. Since σ is constant, you have ##\int_{S} \sigma dS = \sigma S##. Be sure to draw a figure which helps you identify the surface ##S##.

TSny said:
I would not try to use Gauss' law for the special case of r0 = r. For this value of r, you are at the location of the surface charge density where the E field is indeterminate.
Why is it indeterminate? Shouldn't ##E## be the maximus on the surface?

TSny said:
For the case r0 > r, you have not found the correct charge inside the Gaussian surface due to the surface charge density σ. There should not be any integration with respect to r. Since σ is constant, you have ∫SσdS=σS∫SσdS=σS\int_{S} \sigma dS = \sigma S. Be sure to draw a figure which helps you identify the surface SSS.
Why? I'm assuming a cylinder with a radius ##r_0 > r## and I want to find the electric field there. Shouldn't it be this the contribution of the surface charge:
##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma}{r l} \int_{r}^{r_0} 2 \pi l dr##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma 2 \pi l}{r l} \int_{r}^{r_0} dr##
##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma 2 \pi l}{r l} (r_0 - r)##
##E_0 = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0 r} (r_0 - r)##

Kernul said:
Why is it indeterminate? Shouldn't ##E## be the maximus on the surface?
I think you'll see why E is undefined for points on the surface of the cylinder once you have worked out E for the inner and outer regions.
I'm assuming a cylinder with a radius ##r_0 > r## and I want to find the electric field there. Shouldn't it be this the contribution of the surface charge:
Shoudn't the ##r## on the left side be ##r_0##?
At this point, use the fact that ##\int {dS} = S## and just substitute the correct expression for S.
##E_0 = \frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\sigma}{r l} \int_{r}^{r_0} 2 \pi l dr##
It doesn't make any sense to integrate over r. You are integrating over part of the surface of the cylinder where ##r## is a fixed number, not a variable.

TSny said:
Shoudn't the rrr on the left side be r0r0r_0?
Yeah, you're right. My bad.
TSny said:
At this point, use the fact that ∫dS=S∫dS=S\int {dS} = S and just substitute the correct expression for S.
So simply ##S = 2 \pi r_0 l##?
Then I have ##E_0 = \frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}##. Is it right?

Kernul said:
So simply ##S = 2 \pi r_0 l##?
Think about whether you should have ##r## or ##r_0## in this expression.

Gauss Theorem says that ##\Phi## of the electric field in the void ##E_0## through a closed surface ##S## is the integral of the charge inside ##S## divided by ##\epsilon_0##. The surface we are talking about in this case is the cylinder with radius ##r## while the electric field we want to find out is at radius ##r_0 > r##. So on the left, where there is ##S##, we have ##r_0##, while on the right, where there is the other ##S##, we have ##r##. This is because on the left we have the surface with radius ##r_0## and on the right the surface with the surface charge ##\sigma##, so the one at radius ##r##. So I got it wrong. I should have written ##E_0 = \frac{\sigma r}{\epsilon_0 r_0}##. Am I right?

Yes, that's right.

Likes Kernul
Of course, there is also the contribution from the line charge.

Which is this ##\frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r_0}##, right?

Kernul said:
Which is this ##\frac{1}{2 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{\lambda}{r_0}##, right?
Yes.

Likes Kernul

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence of electric charges on each other. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is created by charged particles.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of electric charges. These charges can be either positive or negative, and the strength of the field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges.

3. What is the relationship between electric field and distance from the source charge?

The strength of an electric field decreases as the distance from the source charge increases. This relationship follows the inverse square law, meaning the field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.

4. How does the direction of an electric field depend on the source charge?

The direction of an electric field is determined by the type of charge producing it. Positive charges create electric fields that point away from them, while negative charges create electric fields that point towards them.

5. Can an electric field exist in a vacuum?

Yes, an electric field can exist in a vacuum. In fact, an electric field can exist in all of space, including in a vacuum, as long as there are charged particles present to create it.