1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field inside a uniformly charged insulator

1. Mar 22, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    ok here's the problem: find the magnitude of the electric field inside uniformly charged insulating sphere of raduis R.

2. Relevant equations
    application of gauss's law..but...

3. The attempt at a solution
    should i use
    [tex]\phi[/tex] = q[tex]_{encl}\epsilon_0[/tex]
    [tex]\phi[/tex] = q[tex]_{encl}[/tex]/[tex]\kappa[/tex][tex]\epsilon[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2008 #2
    It becomes slightly different inside a sphere. Electric fields are vectors, and a point inside a sphere is being affected by an electric field in every direction. Heres what you need to know: Any point inside a spherical shell of any thickness receives a net electric field of 0N/C. Same concept applies to electric force and gravity.
    Here is a site to help you out on this:
    Using that, if a point is a radial distance a from the center of the sphere (while inside the sphere), the net electric field at a point inside a sphere would be due to only the the charge within the radial distance (the charges outside the radial distance contributes to the 0N/C).
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  4. Mar 22, 2008 #3
    So, are you in space or a material? Would you want to use the electric constant for free space or not?
  5. Mar 23, 2008 #4
    that is what I'm confuswed about...if the insulating sphere is made of a material other than air, which one should I use on the righthand side of the flux equation? [tex]\epsilon_{0} [/tex] or [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. that is should I take the permittivity constant ([tex]\kappa[/tex]) into account or not?
  6. Mar 23, 2008 #5

Homework Helper

Since you are solving for the electric field strength E, you would just use [tex]\epsilon_{o}[/tex]. If you were asked for the electric flux density D, you would need to be concerned with the electric permittivity of the material. (The hint is that you aren't given a value for [tex]\kappa[/tex] in the problem...)
  7. Mar 23, 2008 #6
    Out of curiosity, what volume are you using for the enclosed charge?
  8. Mar 23, 2008 #7
    a sphere
  9. Mar 23, 2008 #8
    thanks dynamicsolo. I'm starting to see how things are now
  10. Mar 23, 2008 #9
    thats a shape, not a volume
  11. Sep 14, 2009 #10
    If a charge were distributed uniformly on the surface of the balloon(insulator). A point particle with charge q inside is greatest when it is anywhere inside the sphere because the force is zero?

or when it is near the inside surface of the balloon?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?