Electric Field Involving Gauss's Law Problem

In summary: When you solve the integral, your answer becomes e/4piE0r^2 not Ze/4piE0r^2. The reason is that e is the charge of one electron. You don't want to add the charge of all the remaining electrons, but only 1. Does that make sense?Concise; In summary, using Gauss's Law, the electric field can be determined as a function of r, the distance from the center of the atom. For r<R, the electric field is given by E = Ze/4PiE0r^2. For r>R, the electric field is given by E = e/4PiE0r^2, where e is the charge of one
king_abu

Homework Statement

An atom that has Z protons, each with positive charge of magnitude e, reside in the nucleus at the center, surrounded by a uniformly distributed spherical cloud of radius R consisting of Z electrons, each with negative charge magnitude e, centered on the nucleus e. Use Gauss's Law to determine an expression for the electric field as a function of r, the distance from the center of the atom.
(1) Find the value of electric field for r<R (magnitude + direction)
(2) Find the value of electric field for R>r (mag + dir)
(3) If the atom were ionized, such that it was deficient by one electron, what would be the new expressions for the regions r<R and r>R

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law: Integration of E dA = Q/eo
E = kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(1-2) I treated this problem as a hollow sphere
The electric field is zero inside a conducting sphere.
The electric field outside the sphere is given by: E = kQ/r2, just like a point charge.
(3) This one I have no idea...
Thank you for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
king_abu said:

Homework Statement

An atom that has Z protons, each with positive charge of magnitude e, reside in the nucleus at the center, surrounded by a uniformly distributed spherical cloud of radius R consisting of Z electrons, each with negative charge magnitude e, centered on the nucleus e. Use Gauss's Law to determine an expression for the electric field as a function of r, the distance from the center of the atom.
(1) Find the value of electric field for r<R (magnitude + direction)
(2) Find the value of electric field for R>r (mag + dir)
(3) If the atom were ionized, such that it was deficient by one electron, what would be the new expressions for the regions r<R and r>R

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law: Integration of E dA = Q/eo
E = kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(1-2) I treated this problem as a hollow sphere
The electric field is zero inside a conducting sphere.
The electric field outside the sphere is given by: E = kQ/r2, just like a point charge.
(3) This one I have no idea...
Thank you for your help
A conducting sphere alone has an electric field of zero within it. However, do you think there would be an electric field in a conducting sphere if there were charged particles inside of it - say, a positive nucleus with Z protons?

Think of the nucleus as a point charge meaning regardless of how small your Gauss surface is, you still have the z*e Coulombs enclosed, so the E field is not zero within the electron cloud.

Your second answer seems wrong, also. Once you've drawn a Gauss surface that encloses both the electron cloud and the nucleus, what does Q enclosed become?

So for part one (r<R) would u use E=Q/4PiE0r^2 to give you that the electric field=Ze/4PiE0r^2

Or would it be Integration EdA=Qenc/E0 and dA=2Pi*rL and Qenc=Ze so E=Ze/2Pi*rLE0

sweetdion said:
So for part one (r<R) would u use E=Q/4PiE0r^2 to give you that the electric field=Ze/4PiE0r^2
yes that's right
sweetdion said:
Or would it be Integration EdA=Qenc/E0 and dA=2Pi*rL and Qenc=Ze so E=Ze/2Pi*rLE0

I'm unsure what rL is and I'm unsure how you got the integral to equal that.

you can integrate to get the same answer as above. Your E field is constant at all points on your surface, so your integral becomes:
[tex]E\int_A dA=\frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]

That integral, I hope you see, becomes the total area of your Gauss surface. What is your surface? It is a sphere, so it becomes the surface area of a sphere:
[tex]E(4\pi r^2)=\frac{Q_{enc}}{\epsilon_o}[/tex]
[tex]E=\frac{Q_{enc}}{4\pi\epsilon_or^2}[/tex]

Thank you very much.

As for part B for r>R if it encloses both the electron cloud and the nucleus cloud then Qenc=0 therefore the Electric field=0?

And for Part C: If it were deficient by one electron, does that mean the overall charge would be positive since there will be more protons then electrons so

r<R (when deficient by one electron) I'm a little bit confused on this one.

Now there are Z-1 electrons. Would you just plug that into the equation that we got in part a to give E=(Z-1)e/4Pi*E0r^2

r>R (when deficient by one electron)

Qenc=+1?? so would i just plug that in for the electric field?

Thanks in advance.

sweetdion said:
Thank you very much.

As for part B for r>R if it encloses both the electron cloud and the nucleus cloud then Qenc=0 therefore the Electric field=0?

And for Part C: If it were deficient by one electron, does that mean the overall charge would be positive since there will be more protons then electrons so

r<R (when deficient by one electron) I'm a little bit confused on this one.

Now there are Z-1 electrons. Would you just plug that into the equation that we got in part a to give E=(Z-1)e/4Pi*E0r^2

r>R (when deficient by one electron)

Qenc=+1?? so would i just plug that in for the electric field?

Thanks in advance.

You are right about part B. For part C when r < R, it's the same problem as before! Does [tex]Q_{enc}[/tex] change? No, so the E-field doesn't either!

For when r > R, [tex]Q_{enc}[/tex] becomes +e like you say. Just solve the integral the same way I solved it for part A

So let me get this right,

For when r>R (with one electron deficient), I solved the integral to get E=Z*+e/4Pi*E0r^2

correct? the only thing that changes is the Qenc. The Qenc becomes Z*+e

sweetdion said:
So let me get this right,

For when r>R (with one electron deficient), I solved the integral to get E=Z*+e/4Pi*E0r^2

correct? the only thing that changes is the Qenc. The Qenc becomes Z*+e

No, Qenc becomes +1e

If there are Z - 1 electrons and Z protons, you get:
Z(e) + (Z -1)(-e)
Ze + (e - Ze)
e

So the total charge enclosed is 1 electron's worth but positive.

1. What is Gauss's Law and how is it related to electric fields?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. In simpler terms, it describes how electric charges create electric fields. It is often used to solve problems involving electric fields, such as finding the electric field of a charged object.

2. How do you calculate the electric field using Gauss's Law?

To calculate the electric field using Gauss's Law, you need to first determine the amount of charge enclosed by a closed surface, such as a cube or a sphere. Then, you can use the formula E = Q/ε0A, where E is the electric field, Q is the charge enclosed, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and A is the surface area of the closed surface. This formula assumes that the electric field is constant over the surface.

3. Can Gauss's Law be used for any shape or only for simple symmetric shapes?

Gauss's Law can be used for any shape as long as the electric field is constant over the surface. However, it is easier to use for simple symmetric shapes, such as spheres, cylinders, or cubes, because the electric field is constant and the surface area can be easily calculated.

4. How does the direction of the electric field relate to the direction of the electric flux?

The direction of the electric field is always perpendicular to the surface, while the direction of the electric flux is determined by the orientation of the surface. The electric flux is positive when the electric field and the surface have the same direction, and negative when they have opposite directions.

5. What is the significance of Gauss's Law in understanding electric fields?

Gauss's Law is significant in understanding electric fields because it provides a mathematical relationship between the charge distribution and the resulting electric field. It allows us to calculate the electric field of complex systems, and also helps us understand how the electric field changes when the charge distribution is altered.