1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Electric field needed to accelerate an electron

1. Feb 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The electron gun in a television tube is used to accelerate electrons (mass of 9.10939 X 10 ^ -31, and charge of -1.60218 X 10 ^ -19) from rest to 2 X 10 ^ 7 m/s within a distance of 7.4 cm.
    What electric field is required? Answer in units of N/C

2. Relevant equations
    F_e = F_k
    F_e = E * Q
    F_k = m * a
    a = (V ^ 2 * V_0 ^ 2) / 2d

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set E * Q = m * a. The only unknown here is the electric field, which is what I'm trying to find, and acceleration. Since we are given a final velocity (2 X 10 ^ 7 m/s), an initial velocity (0 m/s, rest), and a distance (7.4 cm, or .074 m), i plugged in the acceleration equation, so the equation is now E = (m * ((V ^ 2 * V_0 ^ 2) / 2d)) / Q.

Plugging in I find that the acceleration is 2.7027 X 10 ^ 15 m/s^2 (roughly). I multiply that by the mass to get 2.462 X 10^-15 N (roughly), and divide by the electric charge to get -15366.54519 N/C. However, the system is not taking the answer, and I wanted to see if someone could take a look at it to see if I'm doing it right.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper

This equation is wrong. "a = (V ^ 2 * V_0 ^ 2) / 2d" But it should be a typo. Your calculation is correct, but the negative sign is not needed.

ehild

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook