Electric field of a charged ring.

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnitude of the electric field at a point located at a certain distance from a uniform circular ring of charge in a prototype scanning electron microscope. The solution involves using the equation for an electric field and integrating to find the total electric field. The final solution is E_z = (kQx)/(x^2+R^2)^3/2, where k is a constant and Q and R are known values.
NeverSummer
bionut said:

Homework Statement

As part of the optics in a prototype scanning electron microscope, you have a uniform circular ring of charge Q=6.10 microCoulombs and radius R=1.30 cm located in the x-y plane, centered on the origin as shown in the figure.

What is the magnitude of the electric field, E at point P located at z=4.00 cm ?

2qs5475.gif

Homework Equations

E=kQ/(r^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

dE=kdQ/(r^2)=kdQ/(sqrt(h^2+r^2))=∫(k/4.206)dQ

=2.14*10^9 Q

Now, I'm not sure I've made it thus far correctly, so if I've gone wrong, please let me know. Either way, I have no idea what my limits of integration would be for this, so I'm pretty much stuck here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I kind of follow your work, but I'm afraid I don't see the complete equation needed, so I will go ahead and derive it for you.
Alrighty, here's a little picture to help us out.
physicsproblem.jpg

Let's keep this in mind throughout the whole problem.

We know by symmetry that the electric field due to the ring at point P is going to be straight up in the Z direction. In the picture, I have the electric field element [itex]\begin{equation} dE \end{equation}[/itex] due to a charge element [itex]\begin{equation} dq \end{equation}[/itex].
Let us define that charge element. Because we have a ring, it will have a linear charge density (charge per unit length), [itex]\lambda = Q/l = Q/2\pi R[/itex], where L (lower case in the equation) is the circumference of the ring, it's length. Let's look at another picture for substitution reasons:

circlepicture.jpg

This picture shows us that [itex]\begin{equation} dl=Rd\theta \end{equation}[/itex].
So now we can say (using the equations above) [itex]\begin{equation} dq=\lambda dl = \frac{Q}{2\pi R} Rd\theta = \frac{Q}{2\pi} d\theta \end{equation}[/itex]

Let's not forget any of this as we move on!We know from the equation of an electric field that [itex]\begin{equation} dE = k \frac{dq}{r^2} \end{equation}[/itex]. Where [itex]\begin{equation} r=\sqrt{R^2+x^2}\end{equation}[/itex] - from the first picture.
Like said before, we know that the electric field is going to be vertically up in the Z direction, so we want to find the electric field straight up ([itex]dE_z[/itex]) due to our charge element, we can use trig from our first picture to say this: [itex]dE_z = dE \cos{\theta}[/itex]
And we know from our first picture again that [itex]\cos{\theta} = R/r[/itex]

Now let's do some substitution using A LOT of what we have done before:

[itex]dE_z = dE\cos{\theta}[/itex]

[itex]dE_z = k \frac{dq}{r^2} \frac{x}{r}[/itex]

[itex]dE_z = k \frac{Q/(2\pi)}{x^2+R^2} \frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+R^2}} d\theta[/itex]

[itex]\int dE_z = \frac{k}{2\pi} \frac{Qx}{(x^2+R^2)^{3/2}} \int_{0}^{2\pi} d\theta[/itex] <-- integrating from 0 to 2pi (the whole ring) = 2*pi

And now we have our solution:

[itex] E_z = \frac{kQx}{(x^2+R^2)^{3/2}} [/itex]

Now all you do is plug your numbers in

By the way this is not the only way to reach this solution, just the way I was taught. If you google "electric field due to a ring of charge" - you may find some other ways

Last edited:
Thanks for the great explanation, I got it!

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that represents the strength and direction of the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is the electric field of a charged ring calculated?

The electric field of a charged ring can be calculated using the formula E = kQx / (x² + R²)^(3/2), where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge of the ring, x is the distance from the center of the ring, and R is the radius of the ring.

Can the electric field of a charged ring be negative?

Yes, the electric field of a charged ring can be negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is opposite to the direction of the positive charge on the ring. A negative electric field can also be caused by a negative charge on the ring.

How does the electric field of a charged ring affect other charged particles?

The electric field of a charged ring will exert a force on other charged particles in its vicinity. The magnitude and direction of this force will depend on the charge and position of the particles relative to the ring. The electric field will cause positively charged particles to be attracted to the ring and negatively charged particles to be repelled.

What factors can affect the strength of the electric field of a charged ring?

The strength of the electric field of a charged ring can be affected by the charge of the ring, the distance from the ring, and the radius of the ring. Additionally, the presence of other charges in the vicinity may also impact the strength of the electric field.