Electric field of a semi circle ring

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the electric field at a point due to a charge distribution on a ring. The correct expressions for the x and y components of the electric field are obtained using the charge density and integrating over the limits. The difference between using dl and dθ for integration is explained, with the latter taking into account the arc length. The direction of the perpendicular component of the electric field is discussed, and a method is suggested for finding the y component of the field. The questioner also asks for help in finding a relationship between two variables.
hitemup

Homework Statement

5jXScWt.jpg

Suppose the charge Q on the ring of Fig. 28 was all distributed uniformly on only the upper half of the ring, and no charge was on the lower half. Determine the electric field [itex]\vec {E}[/itex] at P.

Homework Equations

[/B]
[tex] E = k\frac {q} {r^2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Starting with the charge density,

[tex]\lambda = \frac{Q}{\pi a} = \frac{dq}{dl}[/tex]
electric field for dq
[tex] dE = k\frac{dq}{x^2+a^2}[/tex]
Let's find its x component
[tex]dE_x = dEcos\theta = k\frac{dq}{x^2+a^2}cos\theta = kx\frac{dq}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]
[tex]dE_x = \frac{k\lambda x}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}dl[/tex]

Wıth the limits being [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]\pi a[/itex]

[tex]E_x = \frac{k\lambda x \pi a}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}} = \frac{kqx}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]
This is correct according to my textbook.
However, I end up with a wrong y component when I apply the same logic for the vertical.
[tex]E_y = -\frac{k\lambda a \pi a}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}} = -\frac{kqa}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

But the correct answer for the vertical is
[tex]E_y = -\frac{kq2a/\pi}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

Having searched the internet for this question, I found that the solution for the y-axis includes an arc length element, which is something like this.
[tex]\lambda = \frac {dq} {a d\theta}[/tex]
Then I suppose, it integrates from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] for a semi circle.

So my question is, how does that differ if one uses [itex]d\theta[/itex] or [itex]dl[/itex] for integration? Also, why did I get the x component correct, even though the fact that I used [itex]dl[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
hitemup said:
So my question is, how does that differ if one uses [itex]d\theta[/itex] or [itex]dl[/itex] for integration? Also, why did I get the x component correct, even though the fact that I used [itex]dl[/itex]?
For the x component, the contribution of each element was independent of theta. Not so for the y component.

Likes hitemup
You didn't show the details of your work for the y component.

Note that using sinθ instead of cosθ will give you the component of ##d\vec{E}## that is perpendicular to the x axis. But this perpendicular component is not parallel to the y-axis (in general).

Likes hitemup
TSny said:
You didn't show the details of your work for the y component.

Note that using sinθ instead of cosθ will give you the component of ##d\vec{E}## that is perpendicular to the x axis. But this perpendicular component is not parallel to the y-axis (in general).

It is much like the work I've done for the x component, but let me write it any way.

[tex]dE_y = dEsin\theta = k\frac{dq}{x^2+a^2}sin\theta = ka\frac{dq}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]
[tex]dE_y = \frac{k\lambda a}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}dl[/tex]
[itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex]
[tex]E_y = \frac{k\lambda a \pi a}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}} = \frac{kqa}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

As you say, I'm probably missing something geometrical, but I can't see how dE*sin(theta) is not parallel to the y-axis in this particular situation. If its cosine component is parallel to the x axis, shouldn't its sine component be parallel to the y axis?

hitemup said:
As you say, I'm probably missing something geometrical, but I can't see how dE*sin(theta) is not parallel to the y-axis in this particular situation.

Consider an infinitesimal charge element located at one end of the semicircular ring. In what direction does the perpendicular component dE*sin(theta) point? (I'm imagining the lower half of the ring chopped off and removed so the semicircle that is left has two ends.)

hitemup said:
If its cosine component is parallel to the x axis, shouldn't its sine component be parallel to the y axis?
There are three dimensions here. If the cosine gives the component parallel to the x-axis then the sine gives the component orthogonal to the x axis, but that does not make it always parallel to the y axis.

TSny said:
Consider an infinitesimal charge element located at one end of the semicircular ring. In what direction does the perpendicular component dE*sin(theta) point? (I'm imagining the lower half of the ring chopped off and removed so the semicircle that is left has two ends.)

I think it doesn't have a y component because the ends of the circle is at the same height with point P, so I believe there is no y since there is no elevation.

haruspex said:
There are three dimensions here. If the cosine gives the component parallel to the x-axis then the sine gives the component orthogonal to the x axis, but that does not make it always parallel to the y axis.

Yes, now I got it. I've been playing with my hands for the last 10 minutes, making a circle with one and trying to understand what is going on. I see that all sine components cannot be added together because they do not point the same direction. Am I right?

Yes. Good.

TSny said:
Yes. Good.

I understand that we are in a 3d coordinate system, and sine component is perpendicular to x axis. Also, that perpendicular component is not always parallel to the y axis. So how can I proceed to the y components knowing these?
Thank you so much for your help by the way.

Pick an element of charge and imagine a line drawn from the origin to the element. This line will make some angle φ to the y axis. Imagine a plane that contains this line and the x axis. Can you see that the electric field produced by the element of charge will lie in this plane? So, the component of the electric field that is perpendicular to the x-axis will also lie in this plane. See if that helps in finding the y component of the field.

Likes hitemup
TSny said:
Pick an element of charge and imagine a line drawn from the origin to the element. This line will make some angle φ to the y axis. Imagine a plane that contains this line and the x axis. Can you see that the electric field produced by the element of charge will lie in this plane? So, the component of the electric field that is perpendicular to the x-axis will also lie in this plane. See if that helps in finding the y component of the field.
cLJeY0T.jpg

If my setup looks correct, then I would like to ask how to find a relationship between beta and theta.

You won't need a relationship between those two angles. Notice that θ is a fixed angle while β varies to cover all the charge elements. Your diagram looks good. How would you project ##dE_\perp## onto the the vertical dotted line?

TSny said:
You won't need a relationship between those two angles. Notice that θ is a fixed angle while β varies to cover all the charge elements. Your diagram looks good. How would you project ##dE_\perp## onto the the vertical dotted line?

Multiplying it with [itex]cos \beta[/itex]?
If I am right, then I need limits for the integral. Would it be 2*[from pi/2 to zero], or 2*[zero to pi/2]?

I would use twice the integral from 0 to pi/2.

Likes hitemup
TSny said:
I would use twice the integral from 0 to pi/2.
Thank you so much, I've managed to get the correct answer.
Just one more thing. Should the final result's sign always obey the direction of the vector?

Last edited:
Yes. If you are asked for Ey, then the answer should be negative. If you are asked for the magnitude of the y component, then that generally means just the absolute value.

1. What is the definition of an electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles or by a static electric field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field of a semi circle ring calculated?

The electric field of a semi circle ring can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge of the ring, and r is the distance from the center of the ring to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. What factors affect the electric field of a semi circle ring?

The electric field of a semi circle ring is affected by the total charge of the ring, the distance from the center of the ring, and the geometry of the ring (such as the radius). It is also affected by any external electric fields present in the surrounding environment.

4. How does the electric field vary at different points along a semi circle ring?

The electric field is strongest at the edges of the semi circle ring, where the curvature is greatest, and decreases as you move towards the center of the ring. It is also dependent on the distance from the center of the ring, with the electric field becoming weaker as you move further away from the ring.

5. What are the units for measuring electric field?

The SI unit for electric field is Newtons per Coulomb (N/C), which is equivalent to volts per meter (V/m). In other systems of units, it can also be measured in units of force per charge, such as dyne per Coulomb in the CGS system or pound-force per Coulomb in the British Gravitational system.