Electric field of a semi circle ring

Homework Statement

5jXScWt.jpg

Suppose the charge Q on the ring of Fig. 28 was all distributed uniformly on only the upper half of the ring, and no charge was on the lower half. Determine the electric field [itex]\vec {E}[/itex] at P.

Homework Equations

[/B]
[tex] E = k\frac {q} {r^2} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Starting with the charge density,

[tex]\lambda = \frac{Q}{\pi a} = \frac{dq}{dl}[/tex]
electric field for dq
[tex] dE = k\frac{dq}{x^2+a^2}[/tex]
Let's find its x component
[tex]dE_x = dEcos\theta = k\frac{dq}{x^2+a^2}cos\theta = kx\frac{dq}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]
[tex]dE_x = \frac{k\lambda x}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}dl[/tex]

Wıth the limits being [itex]0[/itex] and [itex]\pi a[/itex]

[tex]E_x = \frac{k\lambda x \pi a}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}} = \frac{kqx}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]
This is correct according to my textbook.
However, I end up with a wrong y component when I apply the same logic for the vertical.
[tex]E_y = -\frac{k\lambda a \pi a}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}} = -\frac{kqa}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

But the correct answer for the vertical is
[tex]E_y = -\frac{kq2a/\pi}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

Having searched the internet for this question, I found that the solution for the y axis includes an arc length element, which is something like this.
[tex]\lambda = \frac {dq} {a d\theta}[/tex]
Then I suppose, it integrates from [itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] for a semi circle.

So my question is, how does that differ if one uses [itex]d\theta[/itex] or [itex]dl[/itex] for integration? Also, why did I get the x component correct, even though the fact that I used [itex]dl[/itex]?

Answers and Replies

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
So my question is, how does that differ if one uses [itex]d\theta[/itex] or [itex]dl[/itex] for integration? Also, why did I get the x component correct, even though the fact that I used [itex]dl[/itex]?
For the x component, the contribution of each element was independent of theta. Not so for the y component.

Likes hitemup
TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You didn't show the details of your work for the y component.

Note that using sinθ instead of cosθ will give you the component of ##d\vec{E}## that is perpendicular to the x axis. But this perpendicular component is not parallel to the y axis (in general).

Likes hitemup
You didn't show the details of your work for the y component.

Note that using sinθ instead of cosθ will give you the component of ##d\vec{E}## that is perpendicular to the x axis. But this perpendicular component is not parallel to the y axis (in general).
It is much like the work I've done for the x component, but let me write it any way.

[tex]dE_y = dEsin\theta = k\frac{dq}{x^2+a^2}sin\theta = ka\frac{dq}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]
[tex]dE_y = \frac{k\lambda a}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}dl[/tex]
[itex]0[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex]
[tex]E_y = \frac{k\lambda a \pi a}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}} = \frac{kqa}{(x^2+a^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

As you say, I'm probably missing something geometrical, but I can't see how dE*sin(theta) is not parallel to the y axis in this particular situation. If its cosine component is parallel to the x axis, shouldn't its sine component be parallel to the y axis?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
As you say, I'm probably missing something geometrical, but I can't see how dE*sin(theta) is not parallel to the y axis in this particular situation.
Consider an infinitesimal charge element located at one end of the semicircular ring. In what direction does the perpendicular component dE*sin(theta) point? (I'm imagining the lower half of the ring chopped off and removed so the semicircle that is left has two ends.)

haruspex
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2020 Award
If its cosine component is parallel to the x axis, shouldn't its sine component be parallel to the y axis?
There are three dimensions here. If the cosine gives the component parallel to the x axis then the sine gives the component orthogonal to the x axis, but that does not make it always parallel to the y axis.

Consider an infinitesimal charge element located at one end of the semicircular ring. In what direction does the perpendicular component dE*sin(theta) point? (I'm imagining the lower half of the ring chopped off and removed so the semicircle that is left has two ends.)
I think it doesn't have a y component because the ends of the circle is at the same height with point P, so I believe there is no y since there is no elevation.

There are three dimensions here. If the cosine gives the component parallel to the x axis then the sine gives the component orthogonal to the x axis, but that does not make it always parallel to the y axis.
Yes, now I got it. I've been playing with my hands for the last 10 minutes, making a circle with one and trying to understand what is going on. I see that all sine components cannot be added together because they do not point the same direction. Am I right?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yes. Good.

Yes. Good.
I understand that we are in a 3d coordinate system, and sine component is perpendicular to x axis. Also, that perpendicular component is not always parallel to the y axis. So how can I proceed to the y components knowing these?
Thank you so much for your help by the way.

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Pick an element of charge and imagine a line drawn from the origin to the element. This line will make some angle φ to the y axis. Imagine a plane that contains this line and the x axis. Can you see that the electric field produced by the element of charge will lie in this plane? So, the component of the electric field that is perpendicular to the x axis will also lie in this plane. See if that helps in finding the y component of the field.

Likes hitemup
Pick an element of charge and imagine a line drawn from the origin to the element. This line will make some angle φ to the y axis. Imagine a plane that contains this line and the x axis. Can you see that the electric field produced by the element of charge will lie in this plane? So, the component of the electric field that is perpendicular to the x axis will also lie in this plane. See if that helps in finding the y component of the field.
cLJeY0T.jpg

If my setup looks correct, then I would like to ask how to find a relationship between beta and theta.

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
You won't need a relationship between those two angles. Notice that θ is a fixed angle while β varies to cover all the charge elements. Your diagram looks good. How would you project ##dE_\perp## onto the the vertical dotted line?

You won't need a relationship between those two angles. Notice that θ is a fixed angle while β varies to cover all the charge elements. Your diagram looks good. How would you project ##dE_\perp## onto the the vertical dotted line?
Multiplying it with [itex]cos \beta[/itex]?
If I am right, then I need limits for the integral. Would it be 2*[from pi/2 to zero], or 2*[zero to pi/2]?

TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
I would use twice the integral from 0 to pi/2.

Likes hitemup
I would use twice the integral from 0 to pi/2.
Thank you so much, I've managed to get the correct answer.
Just one more thing. Should the final result's sign always obey the direction of the vector?

Last edited:
TSny
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yes. If you are asked for Ey, then the answer should be negative. If you are asked for the magnitude of the y component, then that generally means just the absolute value.