Electric Field of a Uniformly Charged Disc at Large Distances

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
whatisreality
Messages
286
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


What is the field of a disc radius a, uniformly charged with surface charge density σ, for x>>a?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


I've worked out the equation for the field of a disc:
##E = ## ##\frac{\sigma x}{2 \epsilon}## ##\frac{\sqrt{a^2+x^2}-x}{x \sqrt{a^2+x^2}}##

I'm also given a hint, which is that the answer shouldn't be zero. As far as I can tell, if x>>a, this definitely becomes zero! I have looked up my answer for E and it is right. To work out E for x>>a, I essentially ignored all a as irrelevant - is that wrong?

##E = ## ##\frac{\sigma x}{2 \epsilon}## ##\frac{\sqrt{x^2}-x}{x \sqrt{x^2}}## is most definitely zero!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
For a finite value of ##x## that is much greater than ##a##, ##E## will be small but it won't be zero. You have "over approximated". In this type of problem, you want to keep the lowest order nonzero approximation.

Instead of approximating ##\sqrt{x^2+a^2}## in the numerator as ##\sqrt{x^2}##, find a more accurate approximation in terms of the small quantity ##a/x##.
Hint: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binomial_approximation

You might find it easier to first simplify your expression for E by cancelling some ##x##'s and splitting the fraction involving the square roots into the difference of two fractions. You will then have only one square root to worry about.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: whatisreality
Simplifying the expression gives

##E = \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon}(1 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{a^2}{x^2}+1}})##
And then use a binomial approximation for ##\sqrt{\frac{a^2}{x^2}+1}##.
Thank you, gave the right answer :)