1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field on grounded plane

1. Dec 15, 2014 #1
    This question was on our final, but I do not completely understand what the professor was trying to say.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"A charge Q is located at a distance d above an infinitely large grounded half-plane located in the x-y plane and at a distance d from another grounded half-plane in the x-z plane. Find the electric field at a point of coordinates x=y=0 and z=d."

2. Relevant equations
    E=Q/4pi(epsilon)r^2
    Phi=Q/4pi(epsilon)r

3. The attempt at a solution
    I first thought to use image charges, but he never stated that the plane was conducting, and a nonconducting grounded plane does not necessarily have constant potential. So instead I simply found the electric field as if the plane was not there

E=-Q/4pi(epsilon)d^2 (y hat)

If I had assumed it was a conductor, wouldn't E just equal zero since the point is within the plane?

The rest of the problems on the final took a very long and involved process to solve so either alternative to this question seemed out of place.

How should I have gone about this problem?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2014 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello and welcome to PF!

Grounding an object only makes sense if the object is a conductor. I assume that the two half-planes meet along the x-axis such that they form the boundary of the region z>0 and y>0.

I guess the question is asking for the electric field just outside the half-plane in the x-z plane. That is, find E at the point (ε, ε, d), where ε→0+.

Method of images sounds good!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted