1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Field outside charged metal sphere

1. Mar 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A metal sphere of radius 10 cm carries a charge of +2μC uniformly distributed over its surface. What is the magnitude of the electric field due to this sphere at a point 5.0 cm outside the sphere's surface?
    8.0 x 109 N/C
    4.2 x 106 N/C
    8.0 x 107 N/C
    4.0 x 109 N/C
    4.0 x 107 N/C

2. Relevant equations
    Based on my understanding that a charged sphere can be treated as a point charge (a charge concentrated in one point) at its center I used the equation for electric field of a point charge:
    ##\vec{E}=\frac{kq}{r^2}\hat{r}##
    Where k is the electrostatic constant 8.99 x 109Nm2/C2 (N=Newton, m=meter, C= Coulombs)
    and r is the distance from the point charge.
    Note:##\hat{r}## is the direction and is irrelevant to this question since it is asking the magnitude.
    2μ=2 x 10-6

3. The attempt at a solution
    The distance from the center of the sphere is 15 cm or 0.15 m
    All that said I plugged in the values as follows (sorry about the formatting Latex refused to do this one):
    (8.99*10^9 * 2*10^(-6))/0.15^2
    And got a result (viewable here http://wolfr.am/Znug5V)of 8.0 x 105 after rounding to two significant figures. This is not one of the choices given. Please show me my mistake. Thank You.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I got the same answer so I suspect someone made a slipup in defining the problem.

4. Mar 14, 2013 #3
    Still, I would appreciate feedback if anyone understands what they expect me to answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted