Magnitude of electric field near spherical shell

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 4K views
jlmccart03
Messages
175
Reaction score
9

Homework Statement


A 10-nC point charge is located at the center of a thin spherical shell of radius 8.0 cm carrying -20 nC distributed uniformly over its surface.

What is the magnitude of the electric field 2.0 cm from the point charge?
upload_2017-2-8_13-23-15.png

Homework Equations


E = kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution


I used k = 8.99*10^9 and the q charge with a distance of 0.08cm-0.02cm to get E = (8.99*10^9 C)(10*10^-9)(-20*10^-9)/(0.08-0.02)^2 = 9*10^5 N/C or 900 kN/C which is wrong. How do I go about doing this problem?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation is not in agreement with your relevant equation -- which is utterly wrong anyway (it calculates a force, not a field). Do you have a textbook with some relevant material you could study ?
 
We don't use a textbook. Our professor has lecture notes instead.

EDIT Am I not even using the correct formula? I feel as though I am, but I may be WAY off. Which is bad considering I have an exam tomorrow over this.
 
Last edited:
Relevant equation is ##E=k{q\over r^2}##

Did you learn about Gauss's theorem ? Tells you you can ignore the shell at 8 cm: it doesn't contribute to the field at 2 cm.
 
BvU said:
Relevant equation is ##E=k{q\over r^2}##

Did you learn about Gauss's theorem ? Tells you you can ignore the shell at 8 cm: it doesn't contribute to the field at 2 cm.
OHHHH so then it should just be (8.99*10^9)(10*10^-9)/(0.02)^2 correct? And I still get confused on the uniform charge of sphere.
 
jlmccart03 said:
OHHHH so then it should just be (8.99*10^9)(10*10^-9)/(0.02)^2 correct?
Correct if you add units.

jlmccart03 said:
And I still get confused on the uniform charge of sphere.
What is the field inside a uniformly charged sphere (just from this sphere)?
 
mfb said:
Correct if you add units.

What is the field inside a uniformly charged sphere (just from this sphere)?
0 correct?