1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field - point of zero field

1. Sep 14, 2010 #1

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a point on the line connecting two charges [tex]q_{1}[/tex] and [tex]q_{1}[/tex]
    where the electric field strength is zero. These charges [tex]q_{1}[/tex] and [tex]q_{1}[/tex] at a distance of [tex]d[/tex].
    NB - the charges can be of the same charge or different charge.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the answer to be (say x is the distance):

[tex]x=\frac{\sqrt{q_{1}}}{\sqrt{q_{1}}\pm\sqrt{q_{2}}}d[/tex] (1)

Right, for starters I assume that these charges are both positive? and I place a negative test charge to the right of the two charges, at a distance of [tex]x[/tex]. This means that the test charge is at a distance [tex]d+x[/tex] from the first charge.
    Right, without revealing the in-between I reach a point where, by superposition

and dividing that by k

from where I reach the following by taking a square root of the above expression (by which I lose one solution?)

but that does not match up with the answer in the book. (1)
    Especially the fact that [tex]q_{2}[/tex] is in the top of the division, not [tex]q_{1}[/tex], the plus-minus part I don't mind.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2010 #2

Homework Helper

Right, for starters I assume that these charges are both positive?

If both the charges are positive, the point of zero electric field will in between the two charges, i.e. if x is the distance from one charge, d-x will be the distance from the other charge. The value of x depends on the charge from which the distance is measured.
  4. Sep 14, 2010 #3

If the charges are positive yes, even simply by using a mind experiment, the zero point is in between them. Depending on the charge of either [tex]q_{1}[/tex] or [tex]q_{2}[/tex], the distance of the zero point from the first charge (say it is the starting point of the coordinate system) will vary by d-x...

And I don't know where I went wrong... I actually did the calculation before, but I assumed [tex]q_{1}=q_{2}[/tex] and that gave me [tex]x= \frac{d}{2}[/tex], which makes sense when keeping my assumption in mind.

5. Sep 14, 2010 #4

Homework Helper

At neutral point

q1/x^2 = q2/(d-x)^2

Simplify and find the value of x.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook