Electric Field strength between 3 charges and directions

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the net electric force on three point charges along a straight line, given their magnitudes and separation distances. The use of equations and vectors is mentioned, and a link to a resource on electric fields is provided.
need_aca_help

Homework Statement

Three point charges lie along a straight line as shown in the figure below, where
q1 = 6.36 µC, q2 = 1.57 µC and q3 = −1.82 µC.
The separation distances are d1 = 3.00 cm and d2 = 2.00 cm.
Calculate the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on each of the charges.

AZOBajX.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have to use vectors but I don't know how...

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what equations do you have at hand to tackle this problem ?

BvU said:
Well, what equations do you have at hand to tackle this problem ?

I'm not very good with electricity...

F = Eq
E = -(dv/dx)

So you still need an expression for either V or ##\vec E##, right ?

I have been stuck on this question making no progress. Please help me go somewhere...

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds electrically charged particles and influences the movement and behavior of other charged particles within its vicinity.

2. How is electric field strength between 3 charges calculated?

The electric field strength between 3 charges is calculated using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the magnitude of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

3. Can the direction of the electric field between 3 charges change?

Yes, the direction of the electric field can change depending on the positions and magnitudes of the 3 charges. The electric field always points in the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience if placed in the field.

4. How does the distance between the 3 charges affect the electric field strength?

The electric field strength is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the electric field strength decreases.

5. What is the significance of the direction of the electric field between 3 charges?

The direction of the electric field indicates the direction in which a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. This information is important in understanding the behavior and interactions of charged particles in the presence of multiple charges.