Electric Flux on a Cylindrical Gauss Surface

In summary, the conversation discusses using Gauss's Law to determine the flux through a quarter of a cylindrical surface in a uniform electric field. The participants discuss using a Gaussian surface and finding the flux through a rectangle that cuts through the axis of the cylinder. They also mention the concept of symmetry and how it applies to finding the flux through the quarter cylinder. The conversation ends with one participant expressing frustration and the other encouraging them to keep trying and not get discouraged.
exitwound

Homework Statement

zaxiseflux.jpg

A cylinder of length L and radius R is centered on the z-axis in a region where there is a uniform electric field of E i. Determine the flux for the fourth of the cylindrical surface where x > 0 and y > 0.

Homework Equations

[tex]\phi = \int E dS[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe I have the sketch drawn as the problem states.

If you were to take the entire surface, you'd see:

[tex]\phi = \int E dS[/tex]
[tex]\phi = E \int dS[/tex]
[tex]\phi = E (2\pi RL)[/tex]
[tex]\phi = 2E\pi RL[/tex]

I'm confused though. Wouldn't a Guassian surface, such as the cylinder, ultimately have zero flux in the above Electric Field?

I don't know how to progress using Gauss's Law to cut this into a fourth. I don't see how I can use symmetry to develop a method to use the law.

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the flux through the L by 2*r rectangle that goes through the axis of cylinder and is perpendicular to the E field. The incoming and outgoing flux through the cylinder are both equal to that, right? Sure, that makes zero total flux. But the flux through the two quarter cylinders are both equal.

So you're saying I should take a Gaussian rectangle and do this to it:

[tex]\phi = \int \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{S}[/tex]
[tex]\phi = E A cos \theta[/tex]
[tex]\phi = E (2RL)(1)[/tex]
[tex]\phi = 2ERL[/tex]

This gives us the flux through the rectangle as 2ERL. The correct answer to the problem is ERL (1/4th of the cylinder). However, I do not follow the reasoning why I took this Gaussian surface or why it's useful in finding the cylinder's flux.

Think about it. All of the E flux coming from the negative x direction (referring to your diagram) first passes through the negative x part of the cylinder, then the rectangle, then the positive part of the cylinder. The volume consisting of the negative x part of the cylinder plus the rectangle has zero total flux. Same for the positive. So flux through the rectangle is the same as the flux through the cylinder halves.

I'm a "why" learner. I've always been. I don't understand what I'm doing until I understand why I'm doing them. I don't understand the point of finding these Gaussian surfaces and what Flux is going to get me. Therefore, I have absolutely no inclination on how to approach these problems since I don't know why flux surfaces matter, and as a result, I don't understand how to take the surfaces either.

I understand your reasoning, but there is absolutely no way that I can come to that conclusion myself. I'm extremely frustrated because I feel that it's over my head, but I know deep down it's not. It's the method by which these classes are taught. I have a really bad feeling about not being able to get through my E&M class in the Fall (my first semester back in college after 10 years, having dropped out for health reasons).

As for the problem above, if the flux through the rectangle (2R x L) is equal to one half of the cylinder, why can I assume that the flux through 1/2 of the rectangle is equal to 1/2 the flux through the cylinder (the quarter piece)?

Symmetry. The two quarters of the cylinder have the same flux through them. So each must have 1/2 the flux through the half cylinder. Just keep trying to do these problems and try not to get frustrated. That will only make it worse. Once you've convinced yourself you'll never understand, you'll have a hard time unconvincing yourself.

1. What is electric flux on a cylindrical Gauss surface?

Electric flux on a cylindrical Gauss surface is the measure of the electric field passing through a closed cylindrical surface. It is represented by the symbol ΦE and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How is electric flux on a cylindrical Gauss surface calculated?

To calculate electric flux on a cylindrical Gauss surface, you can use the formula ΦE = E * A * cos(θ), where E is the electric field strength, A is the area of the cylindrical surface, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the surface. Alternatively, you can also use Gauss's law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

3. What is the significance of a cylindrical Gauss surface in electric flux?

A cylindrical Gauss surface is a hypothetical surface used to calculate electric flux in a cylindrical system. It is chosen because the electric field is constant and parallel to the surface, making the calculation easier. Additionally, Gauss's law can only be applied in situations where there is a high degree of symmetry, such as in a cylindrical system.

4. How does the direction of electric flux on a cylindrical Gauss surface affect the calculation?

The direction of electric flux on a cylindrical Gauss surface is important in determining the sign of the calculated flux. If the electric field and the normal vector of the surface are in the same direction, the electric flux will be positive. If they are in opposite directions, the electric flux will be negative.

5. Can electric flux on a cylindrical Gauss surface be negative?

Yes, electric flux on a cylindrical Gauss surface can be negative. This occurs when the electric field and the normal vector of the surface are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for the electric flux. This can happen if there is a net outward flow of electric field from the surface, or if the enclosed charge is negative.