Electric & magnetic dipole moment

However, the magnetic moment will still be zero due to the canceling effect of the opposite directions.In summary, the problem involves two equal charges with opposite signs moving in a circular path with constant distance and angular speed. The electric dipole moment can be calculated by taking the sum of the charges multiplied by their respective position vectors. The magnetic dipole moment is zero due to the opposite directions of the charges. The problem is similar to the positronium atom, where an electron and positron orbit around a common center of mass. Neglecting the spin of the charges, the magnetic moment would only be non-zero if the charges were orbiting in the same direction.
Grufey
Hello, I have doubts with this problem, I'm not sure, if my solutión is right, so, here we go

Let's two equal charges with the same charge but opposite signs, positive and negative, in a circle, such a distance between them is constant and equal to diametre of the circle. Both charges, turn around the center of the circle with angular speed w. Calculate, the electric dipole moment, and the magnetic dipole moment.

the electric dipole moment, is define as, [tex]\vec{p}=q\vec{d}[/tex], with [tex]\vec{d}[/tex] the vector that go from the positive charge to negative charge.

The system turn around the center, so we have to applicate a rotational matrix to [tex]\vec{d}[/tex], and so, we have calculated the electric dipole moment

The magnetic dipole moment, must be zero, because the charges have opposite signs, and the problem is equivalent to two spirals with circulating intensites in opposite directions.

I think that my solution is too simple, for this reason I mistrust it

Thank's

Physics news on Phys.org
Electric dipole moment of a system:

[tex]
\vec{d} = \sum_{a}{q_{a} \, \vec{r}_{a}}
[/tex]

where [itex]q_{a}[/itex] is the charge of the ath particle and [itex]\vec{r}_{a}[/itex] is its position vector. The summation goes over all the particles of the system.

Magnetic dipole moment:

[tex]
\vec{m} = \frac{1}{2} \, \sum_{a}{q_{a} \, (\vec{r}_{a} \times \vec{v}_{a})}
[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{v}_{a} = d\vec{r}_{a}/dt[/itex] is the velocity of the ath particle and [itex]\times[/itex] stands for the vector product between the two vectors.

Thank's, for your answer.

I am glad to have it well. If we calcule the moment, with your definition, we recover, my result.

So, Thank you again

Grufey said:
Thank's, for your answer.

I am glad to have it well. If we calcule the moment, with your definition, we recover, my result.

So, Thank you again

actually, no. The electric dipole moment of two opposite charges is always directed from the negative towards the positive one.

I agree, sorry. I was wrong.

Thank's

You are right about the magnetic moment though. It is zero. The simplest way to look at it is, to ask yourself what the current carried by two opposite charges moving along a circle with the same frequency is. It is zero, and no current implies no magnetic moment.

Dickfore said:
You are right about the magnetic moment though. It is zero. The simplest way to look at it is, to ask yourself what the current carried by two opposite charges moving along a circle with the same frequency is. It is zero, and no current implies no magnetic moment.

I think that the problem is similar to two magnetics domains with opposite spin, the resultant moment is zero, or two electrons, spirals...

No. If two electrons were orbiting around a common center, then the magnetic moment would not be zero, but the electric dipole moment would have been. This is more like the positronium atom, where an electron and a positron orbit around a common center of mass. Also, we have to neglect the spin of the charges, since there is no classical analogue to spin.

Dickfore said:
No. If two electrons were orbiting around a common center, then the magnetic moment would not be zero, but the electric dipole moment would have been. This is more like the positronium atom, where an electron and a positron orbit around a common center of mass. Also, we have to neglect the spin of the charges, since there is no classical analogue to spin.

Then, two electrons were orbiting around a common center, have magnetic moment, iff, turn around in the same direction.?

I understood the positronium's example, thank's

Grufey said:
Then, two electrons were orbiting around a common center, have magnetic moment, iff, turn around in the same direction.?

I understood the positronium's example, thank's

oh, did you mean two electron orbiting in opposite directions? Yes, that is also a viable option.

1. What is an electric dipole moment?

An electric dipole moment is a measure of the separation between two opposite electrical charges in a system. It is a vector quantity that points from the negative charge towards the positive charge.

2. How is the electric dipole moment calculated?

The electric dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the charge by the distance between the charges and then multiplying that by the unit vector pointing from the negative charge to the positive charge. The equation is μ = qd, where μ is the dipole moment, q is the charge, and d is the distance between the charges.

3. What is a magnetic dipole moment?

A magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength and orientation of a magnetic dipole, which is a magnetic field created by a current loop or a pair of magnetic poles. It is also a vector quantity that points from the south to north pole.

4. How do electric and magnetic dipole moments relate to each other?

Electric and magnetic dipole moments are closely related, as they both involve the concept of a dipole, or a separation of opposite charges/poles. In fact, when a current is flowing through a wire, it creates both an electric field and a magnetic field, and both of these fields have dipole moments that are perpendicular to each other.

5. What are some practical applications of electric and magnetic dipole moments?

Electric and magnetic dipole moments have many practical applications in various fields, including electromagnetism, quantum mechanics, and molecular biology. Some examples include using electric dipole moments to measure the polarity of molecules, and using magnetic dipole moments to create strong magnets for use in MRI machines.