Electric & Magnetic Field & Polarization

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding electromagnetic radiation, electric and magnetic fields and their polarization. The relationship between electric field, electric lines, and scalar and vector values is discussed. It is mentioned that the electric field is a vector and the field lines in EM waves are time-varying. The concept of polarization is also explored, specifically linear, circular, and elliptical polarization. The concept of polarization is further clarified through a visualization tool. The conversation ends with the main point of confusion being what an electric field vector looks like, how it relates to field lines, and which vectors determine polarization.
radiodude

Homework Statement

I am trying to understand electromagnetic radiation...(the wave propagation of electric & magnetic fields) and resulting polarization. I just cannot visualize it, and once I think I understand, I see some diagram which challenges my thinking. What is the relationship between electric field, electric lines? Is electric field a scalar or vector? I would think it's a scalar but then polarization makes me think it's a field. Polarization: is x-component = the electric field scalar value and y-component = magnetic field scalar value?

What is the relationship between E_theta, E_phi, and E_r and: electric field & magnetic field/lines/values/etc.?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempts just confuse me more. A clear description or visualization would be nice. This question is purely for understanding as there are too many things I don't get. That's what happens when all you're taught is the math behind a concept.

Physics news on Phys.org
The elecric field is a vector. The field lines in EM waves are the same as that in time-invariant static cases, only that they are time varying.

Polarisation of plane waves is more complicated. You have linear polarisation, circular polarisation and elliptical polarisation.

Polarization: is x-component = the electric field scalar value and y-component = magnetic field scalar value?
If I'm understanding you correctly you mean to say the E-field of a EM wave is polarised in the a_x unit vector direction, the B-field polarised in the a_y unit vector direction. This is true only if the EM wave is linearly polarised. If not you can expect the E vector to "rotate" about any given wavefront.

It's hard to explain what this means in words. You can play around with this tool:
http://www.ece.nus.edu.sg/stfpage/elehht/Teaching/EE2011/Animation/Polarization/polarization_3D_view.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Defennder said:
The elecric field is a vector. The field lines in EM waves are the same as that in time-invariant static cases, only that they are time varying.

I guess what do the field lines represent? Or what does the electric field vector look like in real life if that makes sense?

Defennder said:
Polarisation of plane waves is more complicated. You have linear polarisation, circular polarisation and elliptical polarisation.

If I'm understanding you correctly you mean to say the E-field of a EM wave is polarised in the a_x unit vector direction, the B-field polarised in the a_y unit vector direction. This is true only if the EM wave is linearly polarised. If not you can expect the E vector to "rotate" about any given wavefront.

It's hard to explain what this means in words. You can play around with this tool:
http://www.ece.nus.edu.sg/stfpage/elehht/Teaching/EE2011/Animation/Polarization/polarization_3D_view.html

Thanks for the reply. I understand that type of polarization is all about the phase relationship between the x and the y component...but the x & y component of "what" is what is confusing me. For example, take the applet you linked to. The axes given are E_x(t) and E_y(t). I take that to mean E_x(t) = red line = electric field and E_y(t) = blue line = magnetic field. But this must be wrong because I would imagine the axes would be labeled E(t) and H(t) instead. E_x(t) and E_y(t) makes me think that this is only talking about the electric field with no mention of magnetic field at all. Is the applet making any mention of the magnetic field?

I would expect linear polarization to always have the values of one axes for all t to equal 0 (e.g. E_x(t) = sin wt , E_y(t) = 0 ... and vice versa).

Hence the bottom line is this: I am confused as to what an electric field vector looks like, how that relates to the electric field lines, and which vectors or axes determine polarization. If I knew that E(t) = sin wt, what would the e-field vector look like, e-lines, and what type of polarization is it? That looks like a scalar value, so how do I get a vector in the first place?

Sorry, I'm just really confused.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical field that surrounds an electrically charged particle or object. It is responsible for the electric force that attracts or repels other charged particles.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons. These moving charges create a magnetic force that can attract or repel other magnetic objects.

3. What is the relationship between electric and magnetic fields?

Electric and magnetic fields are closely related and are both components of the electromagnetic force. Changes in one field can create changes in the other, and they can also generate each other. This is known as electromagnetism.

4. What is polarization?

Polarization is the process of aligning or separating electric charges within an object or material. This can occur in electric fields, where the charges are aligned in one direction, or in magnetic fields, where the charges are separated into positive and negative poles.

5. How can electric and magnetic fields be harmful to humans?

Exposure to strong electric or magnetic fields can have various health effects on humans. These can include nerve and muscle stimulation, changes in brain activity, and potential damage to tissues and organs. However, the strength and duration of exposure play a significant role in the severity of these effects.