Electric male plugs with rounds have slotted pins

• Thread starter jackson6612
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, Some big electric male plugs that come with refrigerators have slotted pins instead of flat pins. This is because with flat pins, a spring can easily be made for a good connection, but with round pins, a tight fit is necessary and over time, the socket can loosen. The slots in the round pins allow for the fit to be retightened and for good contact to be maintained.
jackson6612
I have observed many big electric male plugs (that come with refrigerators etc.) with rounds have slotted pins. What purpose do those slots serve. I wish I had a camera with me so I could show you one. Please let me know.

Physics news on Phys.org
The pins need to make good contact in the socket.

With flat pin terminations a spring can easily be made to press against the flat when inserted, making a good connection.

This cannot readily be done with a round pin, whcih relies on a tight fit for a good connection.
Moreover after many insertions the socket tends to slacken.

So (some) round pin designs have a slot that can be spread a little to retighten the fit and re-establish good contact.

FAQ: Electric male plugs with rounds have slotted pins

What are electric male plugs with rounds and slotted pins?

Electric male plugs with rounds and slotted pins are electrical connectors that are commonly used to connect devices to a power source. They have cylindrical shaped pins and slots that allow them to securely fit into corresponding female outlets.

What are the benefits of using electric male plugs with rounds and slotted pins?

One of the main benefits of using these plugs is their versatility. They can be used for a variety of devices and appliances, making them convenient for everyday use. They also provide a secure and reliable connection for electrical power.

Can electric male plugs with rounds and slotted pins be used internationally?

Yes, these plugs can be used internationally with the use of adapters. However, it is important to check the voltage and frequency requirements of the country you are traveling to in order to ensure compatibility.

How do I properly use electric male plugs with rounds and slotted pins?

To use these plugs, simply align the pins with the slots in the female outlet and push them in until they are securely in place. Make sure the device is turned off before plugging it in and always unplug it when not in use. It is also important to check for any damage or wear on the plug before use.

Are there any safety precautions I should take when using electric male plugs with rounds and slotted pins?

Yes, it is important to always use the appropriate plug for the device and outlet. Using the wrong plug can result in electrical hazards. It is also important to keep the plugs and outlets clean and dry to prevent any accidents. If you notice any damage or wear on the plug, it should be replaced immediately.

Back