Electric or mechanical scale to weigh yourself?

In summary: Electronic scales using strain-gauge technology are not much more expensive than spring scales and are far more accurate. They also cost a lot less than balance scales and take up considerably less room, with about the same accuracy as balance scales.Electronic scales using strain-gauge technology are not much more expensive than spring scales and are far more accurate. They also cost a lot less than balance scales and take up considerably less room, with about the same accuracy as balance scales.Electronic scales using strain-gauge technology are not much more expensive than spring scales and are far more accurate. They also cost a lot less than balance scales and take up considerably less room, with about the same accuracy as balance

Electric or manual scale?

• Electric

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Manual

Votes: 6 75.0%

• Total voters
tgt
Which one would you pick for your scale and why? Have a vote (mechanical=manual in poll) .

The question boils down to which is more accurate?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're trying to lose (or gain?) weight, accuracy isn't as important as precision.

lisab said:
If you're trying to lose (or gain?) weight, accuracy isn't as important as precision.

True.

I've owned both, and they both gave similar readings. Mechanical scales usually have markings for every pound, and you can see if you're somewhere between pounds. Digital scales give readings in half pound increments. Since weight loss and gain is only meaningful when it's more than a pound or so (anything less can be daily fluctuations in water retention or other things that have nothing to do with muscle or body fat that people are interesting in gaining or losing), either one is adequate.

tgt said:
Which one would you pick for your scale and why? Have a vote (mechanical=manual in poll) .

The question boils down to which is more accurate?

Neither one. Body composition is independent of weight. Also, clothing sizes are not listed in lbs. Ditch the scale and get a measuring tape. It is cheaper and gives better information than a scale.

I have a mechanical one that really sucks. If you stand closer to the middle, your weight is lower. It's impossible to get precise readings out of the thing.

Spring scales may or may not be accurate and their performance will change over time due to wear.

Balances (platform scales with sliding weights on beams) are quite accurate and do not drift as much, but they are expensive.

Electronic scales using strain-gauge technology are not much more expensive than spring scales and are far more accurate. They also cost a lot less than balance scales and take up considerably less room, with about the same accuracy as balance scales.

Mechanical balances.

lisab said:

Don't understand.

Gokul43201 said:
Mechanical balances.

why?

tgt said:
Don't understand.

What she's saying is that it's more important that you can tell how much weight you've lost than how much you weigh, e.g. you weigh 190 but the scale says 140. Okay, so that's bad. But if it can accurately display a 20lb drop, i.e. you go to 170 and the scale says 120, then you're still good to go.

WarPhalange said:
What she's saying is that it's more important that you can tell how much weight you've lost than how much you weigh, e.g. you weigh 190 but the scale says 140. Okay, so that's bad. But if it can accurately display a 20lb drop, i.e. you go to 170 and the scale says 120, then you're still good to go.

yeah okay. But what happens if I'm trying to measure myself against standard weights? Then accuracy is important.

I prefer the electric scale: its batteries are always empty :redface:

Manual. I don't understand the mechanics behind the electric scale, and until I do, I can't trust it.

Howers said:
Manual. I don't understand the mechanics behind the electric scale, and until I do, I can't trust it.

That's a strange way of thinking. Do you also use a mechanical computer ?

Boulier1.JPG

WarPhalange said:
Boulier1.JPG

:rofl:

Wow. That's a dead on identical (except for looking newer and shinier) abacus to one I have at home.

tgt, mechanical balances need little in terms of recalibration. Cheap op-amp circuits have thermal drifts in gain that can be as large as 1 part in a few hundred per K. And the electronics will age, in addition, creating long term drift. Strain gauges will also experience fatigue (though only on the order of 10^5 or more cycles).

1. How accurate is an electric or mechanical scale for weighing yourself?

Both electric and mechanical scales are designed to provide accurate weight measurements. However, the accuracy can vary depending on the quality and calibration of the scale. It is recommended to choose a scale with a high precision and to calibrate it regularly for the most accurate results.

2. Is there a difference in accuracy between electric and mechanical scales?

In terms of accuracy, there is no significant difference between electric and mechanical scales. Both types use similar mechanisms to measure weight and can provide precise results when properly calibrated.

3. How do I calibrate an electric or mechanical scale for weighing myself?

To calibrate an electric or mechanical scale, follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer. Typically, you will need to place a known weight on the scale and adjust the scale until it shows the correct weight. It is recommended to calibrate the scale at least once a month to ensure accurate measurements.

4. Can I use an electric or mechanical scale on carpet or uneven surfaces?

It is not recommended to use an electric or mechanical scale on carpet or uneven surfaces as it can affect the accuracy of the measurements. The scale should be placed on a hard and flat surface for the most precise results.

5. What is the maximum weight capacity of an electric or mechanical scale?

The maximum weight capacity of an electric or mechanical scale can vary depending on the model. However, most scales have a maximum weight capacity of around 300-400 pounds. It is important to check the weight capacity of the scale before using it to ensure accurate measurements.