1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential and bounds of integration

1. Mar 27, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the potential difference between V(P) - V(R) and V(c) - V(a)

2. Relevant equations

Electric potential:

V(a) - V(b) = [itex]\int^{b}_{a}[/itex]E*dr

V(b) - v(a) = -[itex]\int^{a}_{b}[/itex]E*dr

Fundamental Theorem of Calculus:

F(b) - F(a) = [itex]\int^{b}_{a}[/itex]f(x)dx

3. The attempt at a solution

My question is about the solutions attached. In the first example, we have V(P)-V(R), which makes the integral [itex]\int^{R}_{P}[/itex]E*dr. However, when evaluating the integral, the solution takes V(P)-V(R) which seems to disagree with the fundamental theorem of calculus. As per the bounds, I think it should be V(R)-V(P).

Note: while I think it is wrong, the online homework said that evaluting it V(R)-V(P) is incorrect.

Likewise, to add to the confusion, the second picture is the solution for V(c)-V(a), which makes an integral [itex]\int^{a}_{c}[/itex]E*dr. In this case, though, the solution is found by taking v(a)-v(c). (technically v(a) - v(b) because v(c)-v(b) is a constant). This result seems to follow the fundamental theorem of calculus and is the result I expected.

Finally, I thought maybe it had to do with the geometry so I attached a picture of the scenario. Hopefully some one can shed some light on the confusing integral bounds. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. V(b) - V(a) = -∫E*dr with lower limit of r(a) and upper limit of r(b), with * denoting the vector dot-product. If a unit test charge is moved from a to b where r(a) > r(b) then this integral is positive and represents both the gain in potential and the work done in moving a unit test charge from a to b.

OK, yor formula is not wrong quantitatively but you should think of going from a to b as integrating from a to b, and that means V = -Edr.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  4. Mar 27, 2013 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a contradiction in terms!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted