1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential at the bottom of a ring?

1. Mar 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A circular ring of radius "a" has a total charge Q uniformly distributed along the top half. (Q is distributed along the semicircle in quadrants I and II). What is the potential at a point located on the bottom of the ring (observation point is on the ring in quadrant III or IV). The location of the observation point is described as being located at an angle φ measured from the positive x axis. Find V(a,φ).

2. Relevant equations

V = k ∫ dq / r
    λ = dq/dL

3. The attempt at a solution

So I substituted λdL for dq to get V = kλ ∫ dL / r but I'm not sure how to get r in terms of a and φ. I'm also not sure how just a semicircle of charge factors into this problem.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2017 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Hi lz975545,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

You'll want to express dq in terms of dθ so that you can integrate over θ. For the distance between dq and the point of interest on the bottom half of the ring, think in terms of the distance between the points at the ends of the two radius vectors. So there'll be some trigonometry involved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted