What is the Electric Potential of a Uniformly Charged Ring?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
15 replies · 3K views
Cantspel
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A ring of radius a is made from a charge wire with a uniform charge density λ.

a) Calculate the electric potential due to the ring as a function of distance from its center along the axis of the ring passing through the center, perpendicular to its plane

b) If a particle of mass m with a charge identical to that of the ring displaced ever so slightly from the ring's center what speed will the particle eventually attain after being repulsed by the ring.

Homework Equations



V = k∫(1/r)dq[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
So for a I drew the ring here is my best redraw of it in ms paint below. After drawing it i used dq = λ dL than i plug that into V = k∫(1/r)dq and I plug (a2 + d2)1/2 for r. getting me V = k∫(λdL)/(a2 + d2)1/2 getting me
V = (kλL)/(a2 + d2)1/2 since L = 2πa I can replace it in the fuction. So I get V = (2kλπa)/(a2 + d2)1/2

I have to clue weather or not this is right and have no idea how to begin part b.
 
Attachments
  • Stuff.png
    Stuff.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 542
Physics news on Phys.org
Cantspel said:
I have to clue weather or not this is right and have no idea how to begin part b.
You have part a correct.
For part b, think about energy.
 
Last edited:
So since V = U/Q I can set it as (2kλπa)/(a2 + d2)1/2 = U/Q since the Q is the same as the one the ring has I can replace Q as λL since L = 2πa, Q = λ2πa So U = (4kπ2λ2a2)/(a2 + d2)1/2 and U = KE = 1/2mv2, so v2 = (2kπ2λ2a2)/(m(a2 + d2)1/2)
then I take the square of both sides and I get v = (πλa(2k)1/2)/(m(a2 + d2)1/2)1/2
 
Cantspel said:
So since V = U/Q I can set it as (2kλπa)/(a2 + d2)1/2 = U/Q since the Q is the same as the one the ring has I can replace Q as λL since L = 2πa, Q = λ2πa So U = (4kπ2λ2a2)/(a2 + d2)1/2 and U = KE = 1/2mv2, so v2 = (2kπ2λ2a2)/(m(a2 + d2)1/2)
then I take the square of both sides and I get v = (πλa(2k)1/2)/(m(a2 + d2)1/2)1/2
Where d is...?
I think there may be a factor of 2 error.
 
haruspex said:
Where d is...?

Can you please elaborate on what you mean? I don't know if you are saying that is the speed at d or if you are asking where d is at.

haruspex said:
I think there may be a factor of 2 error.

I see it now the (2k)1/2 is actually a (8k)1/2
 
Cantspel said:
Can you please elaborate on what you mean? I don't know if you are saying that is the speed at d or if you are asking where d is at.
haruspex is pointing out that you never defined what the symbol d represents.
I see it now the (2k)1/2 is actually a (8k)1/2
Yes.
 
TSny said:
haruspex is pointing out that you never defined what the symbol d represents.
Right, but more importantly that d is not given as part of the question, so should not appear in the answer.
 
Since d can't be in the solution should I be looking to relate d to a or am I just going about this the wrong way?
 
Cantspel said:
Since d can't be in the solution should I be looking to relate d to a or am I just going about this the wrong way?
Cantspel said:
displaced ever so slightly from the ring's center
 
I understand the problem is saying that the particle is starting a distance ds, but i still don't understand how that helps me solve the problem. Is ds somehow related to d cause I just don't see it.
 
Cantspel said:
I understand the problem is saying that the particle is starting a distance ds, but i still don't understand how that helps me solve the problem. Is ds somehow related to d cause I just don't see it.
It means that you can treat d as zero initially.
 
So does this mean the answer is just v = πλa(8k/ma)1/2
 
Cantspel said:
So does this mean the answer is just v = πλa(8k/ma)1/2
Yes, but you can simplify a bit more.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Cantspel