1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential between two concentric spherical shells

1. Jun 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (The complete problem statement and solution are inside the attached picture)
    Two isolated, concentric, conducting spherical shells have radii ##R_1=0.500 m## and ##R_2=1.00 m##, uniform charges ##q_1=2.00 mC## and ##q_2=1.00 mC##, and negligible thicknesses. What is the magnitude of the electric field E at radial distance (a) ##r=4.00 m##, (b) ##r=0.700 m##, and (c) ##r= 0.200 m##? With ##V=0## at infinity, what is V at (d) ##r=4.00 m##, (e) ##r=1.00 m##, (f) ##r=0.700 m##, (g) ##r=0.500 m##,(h) ##r=0.200 m##, and (i) ##r=0##? (j) Sketch ##E(r)## and ##V(r)##.

2. Relevant equations
    $$V_f-V_i=-\int_i^f \vec E \cdot d\vec s\,$$
    or
    $$V=-\int_i^f \vec E \cdot d\vec s\,$$
    3. The attempt at a solution
    For part (f) and using the results of the previous parts of the problem:
    $$V(r)=-\int_{\infty}^{R_2} {E_1}(r) \,dr -\int_{R_2}^r {E_2}(r) \,dr=\frac {q_1 + q_2} {4 \pi \epsilon_0 r}+ \frac {q_1} {4 \pi \epsilon_0 r} - \frac {q_1} {4 \pi \epsilon_0 R_2}$$

And it simplifies to:
    $$= \frac {1} {4 \pi \epsilon_0} (\frac {2q_1 + q_2} {r} - \frac {q_1} {R_2})$$
    Which is different than what's in the problem's official solution.
    Would someone please help me with this?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the first term on the far right side, how do you get ##r## to appear in the denominator? Does this term come from the first integral? Note that this integral does not contain ##r## in the limits of integration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted