Electric potential between two point charges

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the change in electric potential between two point charges when their separation is reduced by a factor of 3/2. The possible factors mentioned are 3/2, 2/3, 9/4, 4/9, and Sqrt(3/2). The attempt at a solution involves considering Coulomb's Law, which may indirectly help in finding the potential from the field. However, there is uncertainty on whether the strength of the electric field remains constant when the distance between the charges is changed.
drawar

Homework Statement

Two point charges are separated by a distance r. If the separation is reduced by a factor of 3/2, by what factor does the electric potential between them change?
A. 3/2
B. 2/3
C. 9/4
D. 4/9
E. Sqrt(3/2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I couldn't think of any formula involving separation of 2 point charges and the electric potential between them. Reading a little more on electric potential, I find that U=Ed but then I'm not sure whether the strength of the electric field remain constant when we change the distance between two point charges.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi drawar! :smile:
drawar said:
Honestly I couldn't think of any formula involving separation of 2 point charges and the electric potential between them.

coulomb's law? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi drawar! :smile:

coulomb's law? :wink:

Hi there!
I've just gone over it and still can't figure it out. Does the Coulomb's Law have anything to do with the electric potential?

indirectly …

can't you find the potential from the field? :smile:

Can you please clarify?

Hi there,

Thank you for reaching out for clarification. In this scenario, we can use the formula for electric potential energy, U = k(q1q2)/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the two point charges, and r is the distance between them.

If we reduce the separation by a factor of 3/2, the new distance between the two charges would be (3/2)r. Plugging this into the formula, we get U' = k(q1q2)/((3/2)r).

To find the factor by which the electric potential changes, we can divide the new potential by the original potential: U'/U = [k(q1q2)/((3/2)r)] / [k(q1q2)/r] = r/((3/2)r) = 2/3.

Therefore, the electric potential between the two point charges changes by a factor of 2/3.

I hope this helps clarify things for you! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best,

1. What is electric potential between two point charges?

The electric potential between two point charges is the amount of work needed to move a unit positive charge from one point to another in an electric field created by the two charges.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is a constant, Q is the charge of one of the points, and r is the distance between the two points.

3. Does the distance between the charges affect the electric potential?

Yes, the electric potential between two point charges is inversely proportional to the distance between them. As the distance increases, the potential decreases.

4. What happens to the electric potential if the charges have the same sign?

If the two charges have the same sign (both positive or both negative), the electric potential will be positive. This means that it takes work to move a positive charge from one point to the other, indicating that the charges repel each other.

5. Can the electric potential between two point charges be negative?

Yes, the electric potential can be negative if the two charges have opposite signs. In this case, the potential indicates that work is done by the electric field in moving a positive charge from one point to the other, indicating that the charges attract each other.