1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential Difference Question (Parallel plates, higher potential)

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have two large parallel plates that are conducting and separated by 10.0cm. The charges on the plates are uniform and equal in magnitude but opposite in sign. The difference in potential between the two is 500 V.

The first question concerning this is which plate (positive or negative) is at the higher potential?

I don't understand the question, basically. I'm sure I could answer it if I knew what it meant. So can anyone help clear that up?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is there a defining equation for potential in your book, which relates the potential to the electric field? That would help out here. Plus thinking about in what direction the electric field points (either from the +plate to the -plate, or from - to +).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook