Electric potential energy finding velocities

In summary, two metal balls with masses of 3.41g and 7.88g and positive charges of 1.41nC and 9.19nC, respectively, are separated by 8.79mm. After the force holding them in place is removed and they are separated by a large distance, their velocities will be 0.
jbutle54
Two metal balls of mass m1=3.41g (diameter=3.41mm) and m2=7.88g (diameter=7.88mm) have positive charges of q1=1.41nC and q2=9.19nC. A force holds them in place so that their centers are separated by 8.79mm. What will their velocities be after the force is removed and they are separated by a large distance?

v1=?
v2=?

Can someone help me with which equations to use and any other info that would be helpful thanks

I've tried several equations but gotten wrong answers everytime.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi jbutle54! welcome to pf! :smile:
jbutle54 said:
Can someone help me with which equations to use and any other info

have you used conservation of momentum (ie centre of mass remains stationary)? :wink:

Yes I did. I end up with 2 variables and I plugged one into the other and still cannot figure it out.

should have worked …

show us your calculations :smile:

wow ok

E= (kq1q2)/d k=8.99*10^9 q1=5 q2=8 d=.008

E ends up to be 4.495*10^13

m1v1=m2v2 .5(.0025)v1^2 + .5(.008)v2^2=E

ends up
v1=-1.06*10^8
v2=-1.579*10^6

which is wrong it should equal
v1=0.1m/s
v2=0.07m/s

jbutle54 said:
Two metal balls of mass m1=3.41g (diameter=3.41mm) and m2=7.88g (diameter=7.88mm) have positive charges of q1=1.41nC and q2=9.19nC.

jbutle54 said:
E= (kq1q2)/d k=8.99*10^9 q1=5 q2=8 d=.008

erm :redface:

are we doing the same question? :smile:

1. How is electric potential energy related to finding velocities?

Electric potential energy is a measure of the energy stored in an object due to its position in an electric field. This energy can be converted into kinetic energy, which is the energy of motion, and can be used to determine the velocity of an object.

2. What is the formula for calculating electric potential energy?

The formula for calculating electric potential energy is U = qV, where U is the potential energy, q is the charge of the object, and V is the electric potential.

3. Can electric potential energy be negative?

Yes, electric potential energy can be negative. This can occur when the charge of an object is opposite in sign to the electric potential, resulting in a negative value for the potential energy.

4. How can I calculate the velocity of an object using electric potential energy?

To calculate the velocity of an object using electric potential energy, the formula v = √(2U/m) can be used, where v is the velocity, U is the potential energy, and m is the mass of the object.

5. Are there any units associated with electric potential energy?

Yes, electric potential energy is typically measured in joules (J), which is the standard unit of energy in the International System of Units (SI).