1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential : First concepts

1. Sep 20, 2007 #1
    I submitted this last night, but for some reason it didn't go through... so I don't have time to make it as awesome as I had before.

Through what potential difference would an electron need to be accelerated for it to achieve a speed of 39.0% of the speed of light, starting from rest?

C = 3.00 x 10^8
    M(e-) = 9.11x10^-31
    abs(e) = 1.60x10^-19 [I have been using this value as q)

Ka + Ua = Kb + Ub where K is kinetic energy and U is the potential. Ka = 0 and the equation can be simplified to something like -Kb = Ub - Ua.

I have all the variables for Kb as well as the charge. What I worked things down to last night was along the lines of Kb/q = (Ub/q - Ua/q) = [tex]\Delta[/tex]V. The units worked out (I'm pretty certain) and I got a reasonable answer in kV, something like 39.0kV.

Apologies for the lack of depth here, I actually have to run off to my physics class! Any help is appreciated, thanks!

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted