Electric potential in a closed loop wire

In summary: Its like this: There is a radius (r) at the point P where the arc starts and there is a radius (r') at the point Q where the arc finishes. Theta is the angle measured from the x-axis going out from the center of the semi-circle to the point where the arc starts. Lets use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve for r': r'=r*cos(theta)
cupcake

Homework Statement

A closed loop of wire that has uniform linear density lambda is bent into the shape shown below, with dimension as indicated. Find the electric potential at point O, assuming it is zero at infinity. (see the attachment)

Homework Equations

V = k q /r

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I am not sure how to attempt this question.
so far, what I did is.. I divided this loop into two part.

for part 1
dV = 2k lambda \int sin theta d(theta), which integral goes from 0 to 90 degree.
and after calculation, it gave me 2klamda with lambda is equal to q/pi*r.

but, I think there's something wrong here.., I don't know what to do..
please enlighten me..

the correct answer should be 2klambda ( pi + ln 2)

Attachments

• cats.jpg
    cats.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you divide the loop into two parts, greatly decreasing the symmetry of the problem thus making it more difficult. A loop is as good as it gets. You have dV=k dq/r, dq=lambda dl, with dl an infinitesimal piece of the loop. Since we're at the center of the loop r is the same everywhere so r is constant. Therefor V becomes V=lambda k/r \int dl. What is \int dl?

\int dl is \int pi r dr from r to 2r ?

I could have sworn that picture wasn't there before. Either way this changes things a bit. You will have to cut this configuration into four pieces. The two semi circles and the two straight sections. Let's look at the semi circle with radius R. First find out what is constant in the formula, dV=k dq/r. Is r constant? dq=lambda dl, how can you express the length of an arc of the loop in terms of the angle theta and the radius r?

1. What is electric potential in a closed loop wire?

Electric potential in a closed loop wire refers to the amount of electrical potential energy per unit charge at any point along the wire's path. It is a measure of the work required to move a unit charge from one point to another in the wire.

2. How is electric potential in a closed loop wire calculated?

The electric potential in a closed loop wire can be calculated using the formula V = IR, where V is the electric potential, I is the current flowing through the wire, and R is the resistance of the wire. It can also be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge enclosed by the loop, and r is the radius of the loop.

3. What is the significance of electric potential in a closed loop wire?

The electric potential in a closed loop wire is significant because it determines the direction and magnitude of the electric field within the wire. It also plays a crucial role in determining the flow of current and the behavior of circuit components.

4. Can electric potential in a closed loop wire be negative?

Yes, electric potential in a closed loop wire can be negative. This indicates that the electric field within the wire is directed in the opposite direction of the conventional current flow. Negative potential is often seen in circuits with batteries, where one terminal has a higher potential than the other.

5. How does the shape of a closed loop wire affect its electric potential?

The shape of a closed loop wire does not have a significant effect on its electric potential. As long as the wire is a continuous closed loop, the electric potential will remain constant throughout. However, the shape of the wire can affect the distribution of the electric field and the flow of current within the loop.