1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential inside and outside spherical capacitator using laplacian

1. Nov 23, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the electric potential inside and outside a spherical capacitor, consisting of two hemispheres
    of radius 1 m. joined along the equator by a thin insulating strip, if the upper hemisphere is kept
    at 220 V and the lower hemisphere is grounded

2. Relevant equations

u (r,θ) = ρ(r)y(θ)
    Laplacian in spherical parts: -Δ^2 = [itex]\frac{1}{sin(θ)}[/itex] [itex]\frac{∂}{∂θ}[/itex](sinθ [itex]\frac{∂}{∂θ}[/itex]) + [itex]\frac{1}{sin^2(θ)}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂^2}{d\phi^2}[/itex]
    where we can assume that this does not depend on [itex]\phi[/itex] because rotation is symmetric

3. The attempt at a solution

Two equations:

[itex]\frac{1}{r^2}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂}{∂r}[/itex] (r^2 ρ'(r)) + λy=0

[itex]\frac{1}{sin(θ)}[/itex][itex]\frac{∂}{∂θ}[/itex] (sin(θ)[itex]\frac{∂y}{∂θ}[/itex]) - λy=0

I believe that I am supposed to somehow convert this into Legendre's equation, but I'm not sure how to do this.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What is the charge density in the free space inside and outside of this capacitor?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook