1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential & isosceles triangle

1. Feb 13, 2006 #1
    Three charges are located at the vertices of an isosceles triangle. A positive charge, of 5.7 x 10^-9 C is located at the top, and two negative charges each of 5.4 x 10^-9 C are located at the bottom. The lengths of the 2 sides are 7.1 cm and the length of the base is 1.3 cm. Calculate the electric potential at the midpoint of the base. Answer in units of V.
    I used the principle of superposition. I found that the length from the charge to the midpoint was .0065 m and the length of the other side when the triangle was cut in half was .0707 m.
    So V= 9 x 10^9 [ (5.7 x 10^-9/.0707) + (5.4 x 10^-9 /.0065) + (5.4 x 10^-9/.0065)
    So V= 1.57 x 10^4, but this isn't right... can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I didn't check your arithmetic, but did you forget that the charges have different signs?

4. Feb 13, 2006 #3
    Yes I did.. thanks a lot!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?