1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential & Kinetic Energy

1. Feb 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Points A and B have electric potentials of 332 V and 149 V, respectively. When an electron released from rest at point A arrives at point C, its kinetic energy is K. When the electron is released from rest a point B, however, its kinetic energy when it reaches point C is 2K. What is the electric potential at point C? What is the kinetic energy K?

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know exactly what to use, so I'd rather not list all available equations...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using Energy Conservation but kept getting a contradiction. The fact that the electric potential at Point A is larger than the electric potential at Point B but the kinetic energy gained while traveling from A to C is less than that from traveling from B to C is confusing me. Help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook