Electric Potential & Kinetic Energy

In summary, two points A and B have electric potentials of 332 V and 149 V respectively. An electron released from rest at point A reaches point C with a kinetic energy of K, while an electron released from rest at point B reaches point C with a kinetic energy of 2K. Using the equation W = q*ΔV, we can determine that the electric potential at point C is 240 V and the kinetic energy K is 480 J. The discrepancy between the electric potentials at points A and B and the resulting kinetic energies is confusing and may require further investigation.
yOVivo

Homework Statement

Points A and B have electric potentials of 332 V and 149 V, respectively. When an electron released from rest at point A arrives at point C, its kinetic energy is K. When the electron is released from rest a point B, however, its kinetic energy when it reaches point C is 2K. What is the electric potential at point C? What is the kinetic energy K?

Homework Equations

I don't know exactly what to use, so I'd rather not list all available equations...

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using Energy Conservation but kept getting a contradiction. The fact that the electric potential at Point A is larger than the electric potential at Point B but the kinetic energy gained while traveling from A to C is less than that from traveling from B to C is confusing me. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first commend the student for attempting to solve the problem and using the concept of energy conservation. However, I would also suggest that they check their calculations and equations to see where the contradiction is arising from. It is important to carefully consider all the variables and their relationships in order to reach a correct solution.

In this case, it is possible that the directions of the electric potential and kinetic energy are causing confusion. Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Therefore, the electric potential at point C would depend on the charge of the electron and its distance from point C.

I would advise the student to review the equations for electric potential and kinetic energy, and carefully consider the direction and magnitude of each variable in relation to the given scenario. It may also be helpful to draw a diagram or visualize the situation to better understand the problem.

Once the correct equations and variables are identified, the student can then solve for the electric potential at point C and the kinetic energy K. It is important to double check the final solution to ensure it aligns with the given information and makes logical sense. If there are still any discrepancies, it may be helpful to seek clarification or assistance from a teacher or classmate.

What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy that a charged particle possesses at a certain point in an electric field. It is calculated by dividing the work done on the particle by its charge.

What is the unit of electric potential?

The unit of electric potential is volts (V). It is equivalent to one joule of energy per coulomb of charge.

How is electric potential related to kinetic energy?

Electric potential and kinetic energy are related through the equation K = qV, where K is the kinetic energy, q is the charge of the particle, and V is the electric potential. This means that as the electric potential increases, the kinetic energy of the particle also increases.

What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point, while electric potential energy is the total potential energy that a charged particle possesses in an electric field. In other words, electric potential is a property of the electric field itself, while electric potential energy is a property of the charged particle in the field.

How does electric potential affect the motion of charged particles?

The electric potential in an electric field determines the direction and magnitude of the force on a charged particle. This force then affects the motion of the particle, causing it to accelerate or decelerate depending on the direction of the force. In essence, the electric potential determines the behavior of charged particles in an electric field.