Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential Normalization

1. Sep 14, 2009 #1
    I was in my Electrodynamics lecture last week, still working the Laplacian and Poisson equations, when we discussed an infinite parallelpipid (infinite in the [tex]x[/tex] direction, length [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]b[/tex] in the [tex]y[/tex] and [tex]z[/tex] direction respectively) with a potential of [tex]\Phi=\Phi_0[/tex] at [tex]x=0[/tex] plane and every other face having [tex]\Phi=0[/tex]. Here he said that, due to boundary conditions we should expect the potential to have the form

[tex]
    \Phi(x,y,z)=\sum_{n_{y},n_{z}}A_{n_{y}n_{z}}\eta_{n_{y}}\sin\left[\frac{n_{y}\pi y}{a}\right]\eta_{n_{z}}\sin\left[\frac{n_{z}\pi z}{b}\right]\exp\left[-\pi\sqrt{\frac{n_{y}^{2}}{a^{2}}+\frac{n_{z}^{2}}{b^{2}}}x\right]
    [/tex]

where [tex]\eta[/tex] and [tex]A[/tex] are both normalization constants. I agree with this form (not sure about the normalization constants, but that's the question to come). We let the eta's equal [tex]\sqrt{2/a}[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{2/b}[/tex] in order to coincide with QM. In looking at the case [tex]x=0[/tex], we find

[tex]
    \Phi_{0}=\sum_{n_{y}n_{z}}A_{n_{y}n_{z}}\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin\left[\frac{n_{y}\pi y}{a}\right]\sqrt{\frac{2}{b}}\sin\left[\frac{n_{z}\pi z}{b}\right]
    [/tex]

Then multiply both sides by

[tex]
    \sum_{n_{y}'n_{z}'}A_{n_{y}'n_{z}'}\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin\left[\frac{n_{y}'\pi y}{a}\right]\sqrt{\frac{2}{b}}\sin\left[\frac{n_{z}^{'}\pi z}{b}\right]
    [/tex]

Which after integrating over [tex]dy'[/tex] and [tex]dz'[/tex] from [tex]0[/tex] to [tex]a[/tex] and [tex]0[/tex] to [tex]b[/tex], respectively, we find that [tex]n_y,n_z[/tex] must be odd integers. So then the normalization constant is found to be

[tex]
    A_{n_{y}'n_{z}'}=\frac{8\Phi_{0}\sqrt{ab}}{n_{y}'n_{z}'\pi^{2}}
    [/tex]

All of this makes sense and does work out mathematically. The trouble I find is that my professor said we could do this without having the [tex]\eta[/tex] terms in there, that [tex]A[/tex] would absorb it and we should still come out with the same answer. But following the same math as above, and removing the [tex]\eta[/tex] normalizations, I find the normalization constant to be

[tex]
    A_{n_{y}',n_{z}'}=\frac{4\Phi_{0}ab}{n_{y}'n_{z}'\pi^{2}}
    [/tex]

My question is two-fold:
    (1) Is my professor wrong and we should not expect the same normalization constant between the two (my answer is off by the factor [tex]2/\sqrt{ab}[/tex]?
    (2) Is my professor right, and I screwed up somewhere?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2009 #2
    I think I found an error in what my professor did in class. We have a line that reads

[tex]
    \int_0^ady\int_0^bdz\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin\left[\frac{n_y'\pi y}{a}\right]\sqrt{\frac{2}{b}}\sin\left[\frac{n_z'\pi z}{b}\right]\Phi_0=A_{n_y'n_z'}
    [/tex]

And it should read

[tex]
    \int_0^ady\int_0^bdz\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin\left[\frac{n_y'\pi y}{a}\right]\sqrt{\frac{2}{b}}\sin\left[\frac{n_z'\pi z}{b}\right]\Phi_0=\frac{2}{\sqrt{ab}}A_{n_y'n_z'}
    [/tex]

This makes the normalization constant [tex]A_{n_y'n_z'}[/tex] equal to what I get:

[tex]
    A_{n_y'n_z'}=\frac{4\Phi_0ab}{n_y'n_z'\pi^2}
    [/tex]

Guess the professor forgot to carry some factors from one line to the next. Thanks for your help anyway!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook