1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Conical Surface Potential Difference

1. Mar 27, 2016 #1
    Hey guys!
    The question is related to problem 2.26 from Electrodynamics by Griffiths (3ed).

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A conical surface (an empty ice-cream cone) carries a uniform surface charge σ. The height of the cone is h, as the radius of the top. Find the potential difference between points a (the vertex) and b (the center of the top).

2. Relevant equations
    Here I will call the potential V.

First of all, I assumed that at the vertex: V(a) = 0. (I can do that because I'm interested in V(b) - V(a), am I right?)

Then I calculated V(b). So:
    V(a) - V(b) = - V(b) = -σh/(2ε) * ln (1 + (21/2/2))

But the book's solution didn't consider V(a) = 0, and found:
    V(a) - V(b) = σh/(2ε) [1 - ln (1 + (21/2/2))]

Finally, my questions are:
    Why is my assumption wrong?
    How to calculate it assuming V(b) = 0?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 27, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In deriving your expression for V(b), where did you choose V to be zero?

4. Mar 27, 2016 #3
    At the point a = (0,0,0)

5. Mar 27, 2016 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you show an outline of your derivation of your expression for V(b)?

6. Mar 27, 2016 #5
    Yes, of course.
    r is the vector along the central axis and r' is the vector along the conical surface.

$$ V(b) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_0^b{\frac{\sigma\cdot da'}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|}} = \frac{\sigma}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\sqrt{2}\pi\int_0^{\sqrt{2}h}\frac{r'dr'}{\sqrt{r'^2 + h^2 -\sqrt{2}hr'}} = \frac{\sigma h}{2\epsilon_0}\ln (1+\sqrt{2}) $$

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  7. Mar 27, 2016 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The integrand represents the potential at b due to a small element of charge ##\sigma da##. It has the form ##V = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r}## for a point charge. Note that this expression assumes a particular place where V = 0. Where is that place?

8. Mar 27, 2016 #7
    For a point charge, V = 0 at the infinity.
    You helped me a lot to identify my own misunderstanding. In the previous exercise that I solved the potential wouldn't go to 0 at the infinity (it was due to a infinity distribution).

Thank you a lot!

9. Mar 27, 2016 #8

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK.

I'm not quite getting the result that you quoted as the given solution. I get that the argument of the log should be ##1 + \sqrt{2}## rather than ##1 + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}## . But I could be messing up somewhere.

10. Mar 27, 2016 #9
    No no, you are right. My mistake. I already edited there.

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted