1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential of a dipole moment

1. Mar 10, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The dipole moment of a water molecule is 6.29E-30Cm. What is the electric potential's magnitude 1.43nm from a water molecule along the axis of the dipole?

2. Relevant equations
    p = qr

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't have values for q or r. I just know the magnitude of the dipole moment and the distance away from the molecule in which I have to figure out the electric potential. I don't know where to go from here.

And even if given q, how would I figure out V.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Find the electric potential of two equal and opposite charges d distance apart symbolically, at distance x from the centre of the dipole, and then take into account that x>>d.

ehild

4. Mar 10, 2013 #3
    That doesn't really help me.

5. Mar 10, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know the formula for the potential of a point charge? A point charge q is at x1=d/2, and an other one is at x2=-d/2. What is the potential at the point with coordinate x?

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted