1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential of a line of charge

1. Sep 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the electric potential at a point d perpendicular to one end of a line of charge with a positive uniform linear charge density lambda, length L, and negligible thickness.

2. Relevant equations

EdA=q/ε_0
    A = 2πdL
    V_f - V_i = -integral(Eds)

3. The attempt at a solution

for E i get λ/(2πDε_0) by drawing a gaussian cylinder around the line of charge and then i plug that into the integral for V which turns into V = Ed*ln|(L+(d^2+L^2 )^(1/2))/d|

the answer i get is V= λ/(2πε_0 ) ln|(L+(d^2+L^2 )^(1/2))/d| which is correct except that i should have a 4πε_0 instead of a 2πε_0 but i dont understand why since the area of my gaussian cylinder is 2πdL

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2011 #2
    Are you *sure* the area is 2*pi*d*L?

4. Sep 11, 2011 #3
    .........yes? lol i mean the way i drew my diagram charge would only be coming out of the middle of the cylinder. i mean i acknowledge that im making a mistake somewhere in there but i cant for the life of me see why.

5. Sep 11, 2011 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Gauss's Law isn't applicable here.

There's not sufficient symmetry.

What is the electric potential at a distance R from a point charge with a charge of Q ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook