1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric potential problem with two plates and different points (i'll elaborate)

1. Feb 1, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    There are two parallel plates. The plate on the left has an electric potential of +60 Volts. The right plate has an electric potential of 0 Volts. The plates are 8.0mm apart. Between the two plates lies a point P 2.0mm from the left plate with a charge -3.5pC. Point R lies a mass right in the middle. Point S lies 2.0mm from the right plate.

A)
    i) What is the electric potential at point R?
    ii) What is the electric potential at point S?

Point R lies a mass of 4*10^-19 kg with a charge -2pC.
    B) What is the speed of the mass at R when it reaches point S if it has an initial velocity of 3.0*10^4 m/s.

2. Relevant equations
    V= kq/r
    u=kqq/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved this problem for Ai) using kq/r where r is the distance from R and P and q is charge at P. I then added the voltage of 60 volts to that number to get the total potential. I believe this is where I went wrong but I don't see how the 60 voltage plate could not affect the potential at the point. Any help would be great. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the potential of the RH plate is zero then the potential at a point x away from the RH plate towards the LH plate is 60V*x/d, x = distance from RH plate to R or S, ignoring the extra charge at P. Now the potential due to the extra charge at P is just the extra work you have to apply to a unit positive test charge to bring it from the RH plate to R or S.

The usual definition of potential as being the work on a unit test charge brought from infinity to the observation point does not apply here. That's because the point of zero potential is the RH plate and not infinity.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook