Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Analogue Simulating a crystal Lattice

1. Aug 25, 2006 #1
    hey guys...im stuck with this experiment of an Electrical Analogue Simulating a crystal Lattice....could anyone explain me the whole concept of relating a set of LC filters to a crystal lattice???

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2006 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The transmission of waves (at least 1-dimensional waves) through a crystal lattice is analogous to electrical waves propagating down a transmission line. The lumped-element model of a parallel wire transmission line where the wires are each a long series string of inductors, and where capacitors bridge across the wires, displays dispersion, frequency cutoff, and other characteristics of waves in a solid. If two different values of inductance or capacitance are used at alternating positions in the electrical model, then it displays the acoustic and optic branches and band gap that you also see in a diatomic solid. Leon Brillouin has a detailed and beautiful description in his book "Wave Propagation in Periodic Structures," where he also gives mechanical analogs of same. I think it's out of print, but because it was reprinted by Dover there are a ton of copies floating around. You should find it at your university library.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2006
  4. Sep 12, 2006 #3
    Kindly Help Me Find It!!!

thanks for the valuable suggestion!
    but i hunted for the book in three related departments of my varsity but could not find a single copy. i even tried to find an e book.please suggest me some link where i can get the online version.the book is not available in the local market...i would request u to scan page numbers 45-68 of the 2nd edition by Dover and upload them to <abhishekminhas@gmail.com>
    it would be a great help

5. Sep 13, 2006 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?