Electrical Analogue Simulating a crystal Lattice

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using LC filters to simulate a crystal lattice and the similarities between the transmission of waves in both systems. The book "Wave Propagation in Periodic Structures" by Leon Brillouin is recommended as a resource for further understanding. However, the book may be difficult to find and the person asks for help in locating an online version or specific pages from the book. Eventually, it is suggested to purchase the book as it is available in both hardcover and softcover versions.
willy4urdilly
hey guys...im stuck with this experiment of an Electrical Analogue Simulating a crystal Lattice...could anyone explain me the whole concept of relating a set of LC filters to a crystal lattice?

Physics news on Phys.org
The transmission of waves (at least 1-dimensional waves) through a crystal lattice is analogous to electrical waves propagating down a transmission line. The lumped-element model of a parallel wire transmission line where the wires are each a long series string of inductors, and where capacitors bridge across the wires, displays dispersion, frequency cutoff, and other characteristics of waves in a solid. If two different values of inductance or capacitance are used at alternating positions in the electrical model, then it displays the acoustic and optic branches and band gap that you also see in a diatomic solid. Leon Brillouin has a detailed and beautiful description in his book "Wave Propagation in Periodic Structures," where he also gives mechanical analogs of same. I think it's out of print, but because it was reprinted by Dover there are a ton of copies floating around. You should find it at your university library.

Last edited:
Kindly Help Me Find It!

thanks for the valuable suggestion!
but i hunted for the book in three related departments of my varsity but could not find a single copy. i even tried to find an e book.please suggest me some link where i can get the online version.the book is not available in the local market...i would request u to scan page numbers 45-68 of the 2nd edition by Dover and upload them to <abhishekminhas@gmail.com>
it would be a great help

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an electrical analogue simulation of a crystal lattice?

An electrical analogue simulation of a crystal lattice is a model that uses electrical circuits to represent the behavior and structure of a real crystal lattice. It allows scientists to study the properties and interactions of a crystal lattice in a more accessible and controllable way.

2. How does an electrical analogue simulation work?

An electrical analogue simulation works by using electrical components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors to represent the atoms and bonds in a crystal lattice. The flow of electrical current through these components mimics the movement of particles in the lattice, allowing researchers to observe and analyze its behavior.

3. What are the benefits of using an electrical analogue simulation?

One of the main benefits of using an electrical analogue simulation is that it allows for a more tangible and visual representation of a crystal lattice, making it easier for scientists to understand and manipulate. It also provides a faster and more cost-effective way to study the properties of a crystal lattice compared to conducting experiments on real crystals.

4. What are the limitations of an electrical analogue simulation?

One limitation of using an electrical analogue simulation is that it is a simplified model and may not accurately reflect the complexities of a real crystal lattice. It also requires a thorough understanding of electrical circuits and may not be accessible to researchers without a background in electrical engineering.

5. What are some applications of electrical analogue simulations of crystal lattices?

Electrical analogue simulations are commonly used in the study of material properties, such as conductivity and magnetism. They are also useful in predicting the behavior of new materials and in developing new technologies such as transistors and semiconductors.