Do ionic crystals have total electric dipole moment?

In summary: I'm not sure what you mean by "one-dimensional". I think the problem is that I'm not sure how to define the dipole moment in this context. Can you give an example of a substance that behaves like a one-dimensional?I'm not sure what you mean by "one-dimensional". I think the problem is that I'm not sure how to define the dipole moment in this context. Can you give an example of a substance that behaves like a one-dimensional?In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dipole moment in ionic crystals. It is noted that while these crystals may seem to have a total dipole moment, the electric field around them is actually quite small. It is also mentioned that the definition of
taishizhiqiu
I have come up with a paradox: Ionic crystals, in which cations and anions form a lattice, seems to have total electric dipole moment!

For example, consider a one dimensional example:
##+ - + - + - ... + - + -##
In the above picture, a ##+## represents a cation and a ##-## represents an anion.

So in calculating the total magnetic dipole moment, with the definition ##P=\int x \rho (x) dx##, I pair the ions and each cation anion pair have a dipole moment ##-ql##, where ##q## is charge and ##l## is the distance between the cation and anion. Then the total dipole moment is ##\frac{n}{2}ql##!

I don't think ionic crystals can have total dipole moment because if so, salt will have electric field around it!

Can anybody explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's some interesting data possibly related to your question.

Strong Forces at Work in Simple Table Salt
Intense electric fields alter electrons arrangement to produce light during NaCl crystallization
http://www.pnnl.gov/science/highlights/highlight.asp?id=1438
kathmann_crystal_200w.jpg

Crystalluminescence – the glow given off when a salt becomes a solid – was a critical “hint” to the team that the conventional wisdom underlying salt formation was incomplete. This led them to ask if intense electric fields actually occur in concentrated aqueous electrolytes and thus could be responsible for driving the electronic processes leading to the emission of blue light. The answer? Yes.

That's dynamics. What I concern is the static case.

Big dipole moment doesn't necessarily imply strong static electric field.

Dipole moment is [itex]p(r)=\int\limits_{V} \rho(r')(r-r')d^3r'[/itex] while for example the solution to the electrostatic potential [itex]\phi(r)=\int\limits_{V} \rho(r')\frac{1}{|r-r'|}d^3r'[/itex]. Or put even more simply, from gauss's law the electric field seems to depend on [itex]\int\limits_{V}\rho(r')d^3r'[/itex] rather than the integral in the expression for p(r). So i guess you understand why although [itex]p(r)[/itex] can be big, [itex]\phi(r)[/itex] can be small.

I thought of something else, if we try to put some numbers in the formula [itex]\frac{n}{2}ql[/itex], n would be of the order of avogadro 10^24, q is of 10^(-19)Cb and l of order of 10^(-9)m so dipole moment would be of order of 10^(-4)Cb x m which seems pretty small to me. Also with the reasoning of my previous post i believe in points outside the ionic crystal (where we can make the approximation [itex]\frac{1}{|r-r'|}\approx\frac{1}{r}[/itex] ) the potential [itex]\phi(r)[/itex] of the n/2 dipoles will tend to cancel out because [itex]\phi(r)\approx \frac{1}{r}\int\limits_{V}\rho(r')d^3r'=0[/itex] because the total charge of an ionic crystal is zero.

Last edited:
So the total dipole moment is not zero? It seems so counter-intuitive to me.

Well hmm, if we take for example a cubic crystal one side of the cube will look like

+-+-+-+-+-...+-
-+-+-+-+-+...-+
+-+-+-+-+...+-
-+-+-+-+-+...-+
I believe that's how the ionic cubic crystal is formed, that is, below above and next to an anion, always a cation is positioned.

So,we can see that the dipole moment of the first 2 lines is canceled (n/2 *q*l for the first row, n/2*q*(-l) for the second row) and thus the whole dipole moment of the side will be zero. The fault was that we were thinking in 1-D afterall.

Last edited:
Spontaneous electric fields in solid films
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontelectrics
http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/0144235X.2013.767109#.VTFVjUt-_8s
http://astrochemistry.hw.ac.uk/docs/talks/JL_Astrosurf2013.pdf

Related topics
Apparently it you freeze water into a block of ice under the influence of an electric field, you will have a static crystalline structure with an electric dipole.
http://io9.com/5886809/something-strange-happens-when-you-add-electricity-to-an-icicle#

Electric charge separation during ice formation
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/j100244a027?journalCode=jpchax

Piezoelectricity / Rochelle salt
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_sodium_tartrate

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Delta2
Delta² said:
The fault was that we were thinking in 1-D afterall.
I think that is the important point.

Yes a 1D lattice will have a dipole moment, of the order of 1 positive charge at one side and one negative charge at the other side (actually half of that, doesn't matter) - that is negligible for macroscopic objects. And if you add the second dimension, most of those dipole moments cancel for pairs of rows. You can still end up with a small net polarization from a few atoms, but most of the 1D lines cancel each other and the net effect is negligible.

Actually, I am thinking about the definition of local dipole moment. How to define it properly in ionic crystals?

I'm not sure if that is a useful quantity.
You can do something like weighting each atom by its distance with a Gaussian. The width of the Gaussian then defines how local your definition is.

I think local dipole moment is a basic quantity in electromagnetic dynamics. For example: ##D=\epsilon E + P##.

Only if you consider volumes so large that you don't have to care about atoms any more. As far as I understand you try to do that here.

The dipole moment (or polarization) for an infinite lattice is best studied using periodic boundary conditions. In such case the dipole moment is uncertain by a quantum (or defined modulo quantum). The topic is not trivial but an illuminating explanation can be found here:http://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~dhv/pubs/local_preprint/dv_fchap.pdf

Likes DrDu
There are crystals with a macroscopic electric moment, namely the so called ferroelectric substances. However, rocksalt does not belong to this class.

taishizhiqiu said:
I think local dipole moment is a basic quantity in electromagnetic dynamics. For example: ##D=\epsilon E + P##.
No, because polarisation is not simply the density of dipole moments, only in special cases.

Likes Delta2
Delta² said:
Well hmm, if we take for example a cubic crystal one side of the cube will look like

+-+-+-+-+-...+-
-+-+-+-+-+...-+
+-+-+-+-+...+-
-+-+-+-+-+...-+
I believe that's how the ionic cubic crystal is formed, that is, below above and next to an anion, always a cation is positioned.

So,we can see that the dipole moment of the first 2 lines is canceled (n/2 *q*l for the first row, n/2*q*(-l) for the second row) and thus the whole dipole moment of the side will be zero. The fault was that we were thinking in 1-D afterall.
That's the correct line of argument for e.g. rocksalt, but there are substances which behave like your one-dimensional example.

Likes Delta2
DrDu said:
No, because polarisation is not simply the density of dipole moments, only in special cases.
Then what is polarisation?

taishizhiqiu said:
Then what is polarisation?
Read the article by Resta et al, useful nucleus was citing.
Namely, they (and others) use ##P(t)= \int_{-\infty}^t dt' j(t')##, where j is the current density.

Last edited:

What is an ionic crystal?

An ionic crystal is a type of crystal structure composed of ions held together by electrostatic forces. These crystals are typically formed when a positively charged ion, such as a metal, bonds with a negatively charged ion, such as a non-metal.

Do all ionic crystals have a total electric dipole moment?

No, not all ionic crystals have a total electric dipole moment. This depends on the arrangement of ions within the crystal structure. If the ions are symmetrically arranged, the positive and negative charges will cancel each other out, resulting in a net dipole moment of zero. However, if the ions are not arranged symmetrically, there will be a net dipole moment.

How is the total electric dipole moment of an ionic crystal calculated?

The total electric dipole moment of an ionic crystal is calculated by taking the sum of the individual dipole moments of each ion in the crystal. The dipole moment of an ion is determined by its charge and distance from the center of the crystal.

What factors affect the total electric dipole moment of an ionic crystal?

The total electric dipole moment of an ionic crystal is affected by the size and magnitude of the charges of the ions, as well as the distance between them. The overall arrangement and symmetry of the ions also play a role in determining the dipole moment.

How does the total electric dipole moment of an ionic crystal impact its properties?

The total electric dipole moment of an ionic crystal can affect its physical and chemical properties. For example, crystals with a non-zero dipole moment may exhibit piezoelectricity, where mechanical stress can produce an electric field. These properties can also impact the crystal's behavior in an electric field.