Electrical Circuit Question - Integrating Amplifier

In summary, the problem involves an operational amplifier and a capacitor in a circuit. The op-amp wants to keep the node at the top of I1 (Node A) at zero volts, causing Vout to drop to compensate for the voltage build-up on the capacitor. This results in Vout + Vc = 0V. Using KCL, it can be determined that I1 is both entering and leaving Node A, while If is entering the node. With this information, an expression for Vc with respect to time can be found.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4227/capturebsw.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Alright I'm not really sure how to solve this problem. I have redrawn the circuit below without the operational amplifier. In ideal operation amplifiers there's no current going into the positive and negative inputs and the voltages are also the same.

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/963/capturenpcq.png

My initial thoughts to solving this problem was to use KCL. I'm however unsure how to do this in this situation. [itex]I_{1}[/itex] is both entering and leaving the upper node at 0 V and [itex]I_{f}[/itex] is entering the node. So does this mean that [itex]I_{f}[/itex] is zero?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the op-amp wants to keep the node at the top of I1 (Let's call it Node A) at zero volts, it must do so by dropping Vout to compensate for the voltage that builds up on the capacitor.

If node A always at zero potential, what's the current through R1 at all times?
So where does I1 go? What then is an expression for Vc (the potential across the capacitor) with respect to time?

So if I understand correctly you mean that Vout becomes zero?

GreenPrint said:
So if I understand correctly you mean that Vout becomes zero?

No, Vout becomes whatever is necessary to nullify the effect of Vc, keeping Node A at zero.

Vout + Vc = 0V.

Thank you for your help. I was able to solve the problem.

1. What is an integrating amplifier?

An integrating amplifier is a type of electronic circuit that performs mathematical integration on an input signal. It is commonly used to measure and analyze analog signals in various applications such as data acquisition, instrumentation, and control systems.

2. How does an integrating amplifier work?

An integrating amplifier uses a feedback loop to integrate the input signal. The input signal is converted to a voltage, amplified, and then fed back to the input through a capacitor. The capacitor acts as an integrator, continuously summing up the input voltage to produce an output voltage that is proportional to the integral of the input signal.

3. What are the advantages of using an integrating amplifier?

Integrating amplifiers offer high accuracy and linearity, making them suitable for precise measurements and control applications. They also have a wide frequency response and can handle a wide range of input signals. Additionally, they can be easily integrated into electronic systems and are relatively inexpensive.

4. What are some common applications of integrating amplifiers?

Integrating amplifiers are commonly used in scientific research, medical instrumentation, and industrial control systems. They are also used in signal processing, such as in audio filters, and in motor control systems to measure and control speed and position.

5. How do I choose the right integrating amplifier for my application?

The key factors to consider when choosing an integrating amplifier are the input signal range, frequency range, accuracy, and cost. You should also consider the required output voltage range and any additional features that may be necessary for your specific application. It is important to carefully review the specifications of different amplifiers and choose one that best meets your requirements.