1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical circuits confirmation

1. May 12, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi, I just need some confirmation on this question on whether it is correct or not.

2. Relevant equations

P= V^2/R.
    Based on that circuit I was asked to complete the following table and then find the power of the circuit.

3. The attempt at a solution
    To find power I did the total voltage squared, divided by the total resistance. However, I was having second thoughts on the total resistance. Is it just all of them added together? Because I was taught that it was just the voltage divided by the current.

P=3^2/10. P=9/10. P=0.9W. Is this correct?

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 12, 2014 #2
    pictures

Here are the pictures.

Attached Files:

4. May 12, 2014 #3

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

You have to add all of the individual I².R terms (or E²/R or V.I products). You cannot simply sum all the resistor values!

There is a check you can do, to confirm you have the right answer. Can you see it?

5. May 12, 2014 #4
    Oh okay, so everything is alright then? And I am not sure about the check. I know that P=V^2/R as well as P=V(I). So to find the power for the whole circuit I used the total values and both equations gave me the same answer.

6. May 12, 2014 #5

NascentOxygen

That will exactly equal the power drawn from the battery, 3.0x0.3 W (EDIT)

You were not given the value of R3, but had to work it out?

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  7. May 12, 2014 #6
    I'm really confused, sorry. :frown: Where did the 30 come from? And I worked it out by doing 0.48V/0.06A. Did I do that part wrong?

8. May 12, 2014 #7

NascentOxygen

Oh, the decimal point went missing. That should be 3.0x 0.3 Watts. That's the power delivered by the battery. It equals the power dissipated by all the resistors.

0.48V/0.06A is correct for R3.

9. May 13, 2014 #8
    Okay, thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted