Electrical, Circuits, Ohmslaw etc help

In summary, the resistance of a copper conductor 300m in length if it has a CSA of 4mm2 is 1.72 x 10^-8 Ωm.
whybeahero
Electrical, Circuits, Ohmslaw etc help please

Homework Statement

Find the resistance of a copper conductor 300m in length if it has a CSA of 4mm2. The resistivity of copper is 1.72 x 10^-8m.

Homework Equations

This is all the information I have gotten from my teacher and i was wondering if anybody here can show me the formula and the answers to the questions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would probably do something like 1.72 x 10^-8 X 200 or something i got no clue even for the other questions.

Attachments

• homeworkz0rr.png
    homeworkz0rr.png
    45.2 KB · Views: 452
  • homew0rkz.png
    homew0rkz.png
    51.6 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org

You need to use the resistivity formula, should easily be able to look it up.

Make sure you use the units of the CSA correctly.

Last edited:

Ye the thing is I have no clue on how to work that out, or what that means lol the teacher didn't explain it on how to calculate it or anything, so can you show me how to work it out please.

whybeahero said:

Homework Statement

Find the resistance of a copper conductor 300m in length if it has a CSA of 4mm2. The resistivity of copper is 1.72 x 10^-8m.

Homework Equations

This is all the information I have gotten from my teacher and i was wondering if anybody here can show me the formula and the answers to the questions.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would probably do something like 1.72 x 10^-8 X 200 or something i got no clue even for the other questions.

attachment.php?attachmentid=33099&d=1300180938.png

attachment.php?attachmentid=33100&d=1300180938.png

In the future, please post separate questions as separate threads.

For question #1: there is a formula for combining multiple resistors in series, to get the total resistance RT. Check your textbook or class lecture notes, it is a standard formula that any introductory physics textbook will have.

whybeahero said:

Homework Statement

Has your teacher every written something like the following? Maybe it's in your textbook.

[tex]R=\frac{\,\rho\,\ell}{A}\ ,[/tex] where ρ is the resistivity and A is the cross-sectional area ?

whybeahero said:

Homework Statement

Find the resistance of a copper conductor 300m in length if it has a CSA of 4mm2. The resistivity of copper is 1.72 x 10^-8 Ωm.

Ohm (Ω) is the unit of resistance (R). Resistivity (ρ) is the resistance of a rod of 1 m length and 1 m2 cross section. The resistance is directly proportional to the length and inversely proportional to the cross sectional area (A).

R=ρl/A.

Calculate the resistance of that cooper wire. ρ=1.72 x 10^-8 Ωm. You have to plug in the given data, but first transform the area from mm2 to m2. Go ahead.

ehild

1. What is an electrical circuit?

An electrical circuit is a path through which electricity can flow. It is made up of different components, such as wires, resistors, and power sources, connected in a closed loop.

2. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in electrical circuits that describes the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

3. How do you calculate resistance?

Resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). In equation form, it is written as R = V/I. Alternatively, resistance can also be calculated by measuring the voltage across a component and the current flowing through it and using the formula R = V/I.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected one after the other in a single loop. This means that the same current flows through each component. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in separate branches, and the current is divided between them. This means that each component has its own individual current.

5. How does a capacitor work in an electrical circuit?

A capacitor is an electronic component that can store electrical energy. It works by storing charge on two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When connected in a circuit, it can release this stored energy, providing a sudden burst of power to the circuit.