What is the operation principle of the LDR?

In summary, the experiment involved using a datalogger with a built-in LDR to measure light intensity at different distances from a lamp. The results showed that as the distance increased, the light intensity decreased and the resistance of the LDR increased, causing a decrease in the current displayed on the ammeter. It was found that the LDR resistance changes with light, as the light causes the electrons within the LDR to break free and conduct electricity. The circuit constructed for the experiment was deemed suitable, although other more complicated circuits were found. The datalogger used had a digital screen and was able to record multiple readings, such as temperature and sound.
Daniel2244

Homework Statement

Construct suitable circuit and record your finding to illustarte the operational principle of the sensors: sound, light

Results:
Distance from light source (cm) - light intensity (lx)
0 - 1000
10 - 400
20 - 260
30 - 200
40 - 190
50- 180
experiment involved moving a datalogger away from a lamp, measuring the light intesity the further we got away.
Attached constructed circuit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

An LDR resistance changes with light. As light falls on the LDR it causes the electrons within the LDR to break free of their lattice allowing them to conduct electricity, therefore decreasing the overall resistance of the LDR. When no light falls on the LDR there are no/few free electrons within the LDR which can conduct electricity there fore there is a very high resistance
A voltage of V is passed through the circuit. As light falls on the LDR at 0cm away the light intensity is very high 1000lx therefore the resistance of the LDR will be low. A current of I is displayed on the ammeter when light intensity is 1000lx because the current through the LDR is less impeded. At 50cm away light intensity on the LDR is 180lx therefore the resistance of the LDR will be higher and the current will be impeded more therefore a lower current will be shown on the ammeter.
I am not sure if the circuit I have constructed is suitable as the other circuits I have found are very complicated.

Attachments

• LDR.png
    LDR.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 504
Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel2244 said:
A voltage of V is passed through the circuit.
Just to be clear on terminology, because poor use of terminology usually either results from or even leads to, confusion --- you don't "pass a volage through a circuit". You apply a voltage in a circuit and this causes current to pass through the circuit
I am not sure if the circuit I have constructed is suitable as the other circuits I have found are very complicated.
Seems reasonable to me, as long as you can vary the distance from bulb to LDR. I've never worked w/ LDRs so it's possible I'm missing something. For example, for all I know, the swing in resistance could be quite small so that you need to amplify the change in current through the LDR in order to get a meaningful reading. One simple way to do this would be to put another resistor in series with the LDR and amplify the voltage at the LDR. That could be one explanation for why you see more complicate circuits.

phinds said:
Just to be clear on terminology, because poor use of terminology usually either results from or even leads to, confusion --- you don't "pass a volage through a circuit". You apply a voltage in a circuit and this causes current to pass through the circuit
Thanks for correcting me.
phinds said:
Seems reasonable to me, as long as you can vary the distance from bulb to LDR
I measured light using a datalogger by moving it back 10cm each time, recording the light intenity.

Daniel2244 said:
Thanks for correcting me.

I measured light using a datalogger by moving it back 10cm each time, recording the light intenity.
Light intensity? How did you measure that? Don't you mean you measured the current through the LDR?

phinds said:
Light intensity? How did you measure that?
TBH I have no idea. like I said before, I moved a datalogger away from the light and at every 10cm I recorded the lx which was shown on the screen.
Don't you mean you measured the current through the LDR?
Yeah, that's sounds right to me

Daniel2244 said:
TBH I have no idea. like I said before, I moved a datalogger away from the light and at every 10cm I recorded the lx which was shown on the screen.
WHAT screen?

Yeah, that's sounds right to me
? Sounds right? Did you measure a reading on the ammeter or not? Does IT have a screen and that's what you're talking about? Ammeters usually have meter faces, not screens so I'm confused.[/quote][/QUOTE]

phinds said:
? Sounds right? Did you measure a reading on the ammeter or not? Does IT have a screen and that's what you're talking about? Ammeters usually have meter faces, not screens so I'm confused
I used a datalogger with digital screen (someting like the attached image). I didn't use an ammeter at all. There was an LDR built into the datalogger which I moved away from the lamp. I could record multiple things with the same data logger such as temperature and sound.
digital-temperature-data-logger-500x500.jpg

Attachments

• digital-temperature-data-logger-500x500.jpg
    digital-temperature-data-logger-500x500.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 560
AH HA. Well, that explains my confusion. So you are telling me that the circuit you drew has nothing to do with your readings (and you have no idea what the circuit inside you meter thingy actually is). I just naturally assumed that it did.

phinds said:
AH HA. Well, that explains my confusion. So you are telling me that the circuit you drew has nothing to do with your readings (and you have no idea what the circuit inside you meter thingy actually is). I just naturally assumed that it did.
ahaha yeah I was going to add that I didn't measure light use that circuit, sorry! No I don't I just know I measured the light that fell on the LDR with the measurment in lx.
From wiki I got: The lux (symbol: lx) is the SI derived unit of illuminance and luminous emittance, measuring luminous flux per unit area.[1] It is equal to one lumen per square metre. In photometry, this is used as a measure of the intensity, as perceived by the human eye, of light that hits or passes through a surface.
However, could I use that circuit to explain how a light sensor works?

Daniel2244 said:
However, could I use that circuit to explain how a light sensor works?
Yes, but again, take a look at the caveat I put in w/ post #2

Likes Daniel2244
phinds said:
Yes, but again, take a look at the caveat I put in w/ post #2
Using correct terminology?

Daniel2244 said:
Using correct terminology?
No (well, yes, but ...) using an amplifier to get a better signal. Your circuit is fine but you might want to include the caveat that if the range of resistive change is small then an amplifier might be needed OR an unusually sensitive ammeter.

Likes Daniel2244
phinds said:
No (well, yes, but ...) using an amplifier to get a better signal. Your circuit is fine but you might want to include the caveat that if the range of resistive change is small then an amplifier might be needed OR an unusually sensitive ammeter.
Ok, you've been a great help :)

Daniel2244 said:
Ok, you've been a great help :)
Thanks. That's what PF is all about.

Likes Daniel2244
My Yashica YEM55 exposure meter = Button cell + CdS LDR + resistors + moving coil meter + switch
So not much more than OP's drawing. Not calibrated in Lux, but I expect it could be.

I think OP is right in creating schematics to show the principle of operation of the sensor. If amplification or other processing is needed, as phinds suggests, I think it would be fine to use blocks labelled, amplifier, rectifier, voltmeter, current meter, integrator, or whatever. If you're really going for the brown nose points, you could add modifiers like, voltage amplifier, variable resistor for calibration, 60Hz blocking filter, or whatever bells and whistles you understand.

If you fancy giving a circuit like your datalogger, have a look at the Arduino sites and find the circuits they use with different sensors. They often boil down to such simple circuits, with the meter replaced by a microcontroller. It wouldn't surprise me if your datalogger were just one of these tarted up a bit in the display SW.

Likes CWatters and Daniel2244

What is the operation principle of the LDR?

The LDR, or Light Dependent Resistor, operates on the principle of photoconductivity. This means that its electrical resistance changes in response to the amount of light it receives.

How does the LDR measure light?

The LDR measures light by converting photons from the light source into electrical energy. This energy is then measured as a change in resistance, which can be calibrated to correspond to different levels of light.

What types of light can the LDR detect?

The LDR can detect a wide range of light frequencies, including visible light, infrared, and ultraviolet light. However, its sensitivity varies depending on the specific wavelength of light.

What is the typical resistance range of an LDR?

The typical resistance range of an LDR is around 1kΩ to 10MΩ. This value can change significantly depending on the amount and type of light it is exposed to.

What are some common applications of the LDR?

The LDR is commonly used in light-sensitive devices such as streetlights, security systems, and cameras. It is also used in automatic lighting systems, solar panels, and light meters.